Ban on Lead Bullets and using lead in weights / lures ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
Any one heard this yet?

"Five environmental groups urged the Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday to ban lead in ammunition and fishing tackle, arguing that millions of animals are dying from eating lead-shot pellets or carcasses contaminated by lead."

Nah, leads only harmful in the state of California. The rest of us are fine. :lol:

They've been trying to do this for years. Hasn't worked yet, but I am hesitant to say that it won't work this time, since they are already on a role for screwing things up as it is.

the last 2 castnets I've bought have some ceramic crap weight on them. dont sink near as fast as the lead. :evil: just a sign of things to come! #-o

They were trying that back in the 70's in AK and elsewhere. It cost us a fortune to fight the bastards.
You see how far they got though.
Steel shot for Ducks. The rest is all still lead.

They never let you know just who they are, so you can't ever get them to feel the difference between steel knuckles and Lead Knuckles.

malaki said:
the last 2 castnets I've bought have some ceramic crap weight on them. dont sink near as fast as the lead. :evil: just a sign of things to come! #-o

Gay weights, as we call them on a striper forum I'm on. Hate those things.

This administration has been able to move the EPA on several other issues. :( One being lead base paint in homes built prior to 1978 requires anyone working on the home for profit will conduct a "lead test" and be certified and registered with the EPA. So never say never--

The real purpose of these types of laws/legislation is to limit what people can use/make for ammunition for firearms. Basically, it's a backdoor way to make owning a firearm so expensive people won't have one. In other words, a way to disarm the populace. Once that's done, a lot of other government takeover stuff can happen, just see European countries and what goes on there related to healthcare, etc. The average joe basically has no rights, not even to protect himself, his home or family.

Legislation that's "good for the environment" often has a net result of less freedom for "common man" who apparently can't think for himself. Look in the mirror if you want to see who that "common man" is.

With as much government takeover of business/banking/healthcare is going on now, if we don't vote the election this fall, we may not be able to vote for much longer. I hope I'm wrong on this one. Regardless, this country doesn't look anything like the one I grew up in back in the 70's. Much, much less freedoms now, much, much more government regulation and control.

It's crazy how the government is trying to take everything over. Here in Missouri we had our primary today, with a big issue of Proposition C. Basically if you voted yes for prop c you were saying the federal government can't force you to have health insurance or fine you for not having it. I'm sure it will all end up in the courts, but it's interesting how much attention Proposition C has received. Just remember, where ever you are, VOTE!!!! It's the only way to change things.

i believe massachusetts has already made this a law and it goes into effect in 2011. at least that's what the local bait shop told me.

WaterDog67 said:
It's crazy how the government is trying to take everything over. Here in Missouri we had our primary today, with a big issue of Proposition C. Basically if you voted yes for prop c you were saying the federal government can't force you to have health insurance or fine you for not having it. I'm sure it will all end up in the courts, but it's interesting how much attention Proposition C has received. Just remember, where ever you are, VOTE!!!! It's the only way to change things.

75% in favor, from what I hear. Quite impressive, especially given where y'all were back in 2000.

rockbass said:
i believe massachusetts has already made this a law and it goes into effect in 2011. at least that's what the local bait shop told me.
I really wouldn't be surprised if Mass. had made that law. I can't fathom how y'all put up with some of the stuff they do to ya. It's bad enough down here.

Lead shot is banned in the UK for fishing purposes. Still a lot of fisherman there.

They talk about millions of animals and it makes a nice story, but you never really see any genuine evidence/proof of many of these things. Like the global warming thing - first it was all over the news and a big deal, then was pretty much debunked. After the debunking, they changed the name to climate change. Again, the bottom line is for the purpose of the government taking over or enriching some joker who wants to remain in power such as Al Gore with the global warming.

Well, I hope that it is just some one grabbing headlines and not something that is actually progressing.

DaveInGA said:
They talk about millions of animals and it makes a nice story, but you never really see any genuine evidence/proof of many of these things. Like the global warming thing - first it was all over the news and a big deal, then was pretty much debunked. After the debunking, they changed the name to climate change. Again, the bottom line is for the purpose of the government taking over or enriching some joker who wants to remain in power such as Al Gore with the global warming.

I had to watch an educational DVD in a science class not to long ago, that was basically a "documentary" of global warming. Anyway, the picture they kept replaying was one of a whole bunch of dead fish floating on the surface of a lake. What wasn't mentioned, however, was what species of fish these were. These were shad. Every year, a majority of the shad population dies, due to, get this, COLD weather. In fact, lakes in my area are having a shad deficiency (no pun intended - you gotta admit, that's funny), as last winter was colder than normal, causing a greater shad kill. Those photos were near identical to the shad kill I see every winter.

Just because the facts don't support a theory doesn't mean they won't use the facts in support of that theory.

rockbass said:

I have heard the same thing...I know you can't use lead weights at the chu reservior....

Lead is toxic so why wouldn't a responsible outdoorsman want to find an alternative that is not toxic to people and animals? Conspiracy theories about the government doing this to unarm citizens??? Really???? I really hope you're not serious about this one because it's borderline certifiably insane.

If you think global warming is not real, then just do a quick search on receding glaciers and polar ice caps melting. Chunks of the antarctic ice shelf the size of rhode island melting into the sea etc. etc. I don't have a clue how you guys think that it's been "debunked". I guess if you really don't want to believe something bad enough, maybe it will go away on its own right?

SmallieBigs said:
Lead is toxic so why wouldn't a responsible outdoorsman want to find an alternative that is not toxic to people and animals? Conspiracy theories about the government doing this to unarm citizens??? Really???? I really hope you're not serious about this one because it's borderline certifiably insane.

If you think global warming is not real, then just do a quick search on receding glaciers and polar ice caps melting. Chunks of the antarctic ice shelf the size of rhode island melting into the sea etc. etc. I don't have a clue how you guys think that it's been "debunked". I guess if you really don't want to believe something bad enough, maybe it will go away on its own right?

We may have just turned this political, and get this thread pulled, but I'm going to answer anyway.

Global warming, by definition, does exist. The problem is that the accepted meaning of global warming is actually "manmade global warming." The former does exist, the latter, not so much. While it has been proven that while the earth is warming, it is a cycle that it does it on it's own, and has long before people were making greenhouse gases. What we are seeing is a natural warming cycle, which will be followed by a natural cooling cycle. Humans living on this earth are not affecting it either way. That is what has been proven, debunking the manmade global warming.

I'm going to let someone else work on the first part.

Well im no scientist or politician, so I cant prove the therory of global warming, but i do have proof that lead jacks people up. Whether it come from sinkers, shot shells, or paint chips in this case, lead isnt for human(or animal) consumption.

Attachments

• redneck_bass_boat.jpg
    redneck_bass_boat.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 316

Latest posts