seat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinsquid

Reaction score
hi this might sound like a silly question but , i'm going to mount seats with swivel bases on top of the benches . my question is should i mount the rear seat in the center or should i offset it ? the boat is a 12' v , i'm going to be using a transom mounted trolling motor and might upgrade to an outboard in the future . thanks for any input

If you are not going to use a gas outboard and only have one I suggest 100% that you center it. I had mine offset originally for using my gas motor but ended up buying a second base for the center while fishing. It is amazing how much in a smaller boat a guy sitting on one ege will make things different.

I've got mine in the center and it's never seemed to inhibit me in any way of operating the tiller. Since it's a 12 foot take it out and experiment with seating on the side while running full out to see if you're comfortable with that position before mounting the seat/seats. I've used the center seating position on both 12' and 16' jon's. My brother's got his on the side on his narrow 14', it leans just a little to much in my view with the way he's got his seats placed for two people while running full out. If you put one one the side plan out where the 2nd seat goes.

bAcKpAiN said:
If you are not going to use a gas outboard and only have one I suggest 100% that you center it. I had mine offset originally for using my gas motor but ended up buying a second base for the center while fishing. It is amazing how much in a smaller boat a guy sitting on one ege will make things different.

On my old boat (14ft Lowe Roughneck), the back seat was on the bench and off-center. I hated it....and this was on a 1448...

When my buddy was on the back, I had to lean to the opposite side up front for the boat to track properly with the bow mounted trolling motor running.

I disliked it so much that I bought a second base to install in the center...I upgraded the boat, so I never did the install...

I ran that boat for about 6 months and planned to do the upgrade this spring...a second center base would be really helpful...

thanks for the replies . i'm going to be mounting 2 seats and i think i'll put them in the center of the benches

I always place the second seat just a little off center, so that the person in front of me is not blocking my field of vision when I'm driving. From there it's easy to adjust the battery, fuel tank, gear to off set the difference.

My boat is a 1542 and I have my seat off centre. I don't have any problems with it and, as you can see, it made room for a storage hatch in the bench.

Attachments

• Humber Bay.JPG
    Humber Bay.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 417
I have to go with the Caster. Mine is off-set and I get better tiller control and line of sight with a rider up front. But I did place a second mount mid-line to use while fishing. I don't like that feeling of tiping to one side for long periods. I try to spend more time fishing then running.

tccanoe said:
I have to go with the Caster. Mine is off-set and I get better tiller control and line of sight with a rider up front. But I did place a second mount mid-line to use while fishing. I don't like that feeling of tiping to one side for long periods. I try to spend more time fishing then running.

X2

If I wasn't clear...you should use two seat mounts in the back...one centered for fishing, one off center for tiller control.

Personally, if I could only have one, it would be the centered position.

Latest posts