Leaking Starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr1053

Reaction score
I have a 1979 Starcraft Mariner 180 center console that had developed a serious leak. Last winter we stripped it down to the bare hull replaced the transom re-riveted all bad rivets dropped the hull in the water observed no leaks replaced the decking steering seats etc dropped it in the water and it still leaks. Not as much but I have no idea where its coming in. Bilge pump kicks on about once an hour and pumps 2-3 gallons so its not a tiny leak. Anyone have any idea where the water could be coming in?

Take the hose and fill the boat with an inch or two of water and look under it while it sits on the trailer. If you don't see anything lower the bow and repeat. :mrgreen:

Alcoa aluminum gutter seal.

It's the Best stuff I've ever used. Once you fill up your boat with water and mark out your holes.

Well either you have a leaky rivet, a new hole, leaky drain plug or a leaky through hull fitting(bait or livewell). Probably nothing you didn't already know. :D Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Have you tried bunking your rivets?

Flat metal plate on the bottom of the rivet and have someone hit the top of the rivet with a hammer

Couple people who know their stuff suggested bunking the keel rivets and using Gluvit liberally on the inside of the hull. Anybody familiar with that stuff? Worst part is just replaced the entire floor and carpet so pulling that back up doesn't make me happy but I want to be able to leave the boat in it's slip and not worry about it.

Alcoa gutter seal? Stupid question. Do you apply inside the hull or outside? If it will work on the outside would make a great temp fix.

Do a leak test like 6's described, a few inches of water in the bilge and look for water dripping under the boat. You may just have a screw hole you missed during your past resto.

Gluvit and Coat-it are some pretty good stuff, but it has to be applied to the inside of the hull.

Did you carpet over your deck fasteners? Never do that on a tinny, wrap all of your deck pieces with carpet and then install them on the boat with the fasteners exposed. This way you can remove part or all of your decking without messing up your carpet to make below deck repairs and inspections.

jr1053 said:
Alcoa gutter seal? Stupid question. Do you apply inside the hull or outside? If it will work on the outside would make a great temp fix.

If you wanted a quick fix it would work fine on the outside if you used the bottle to squeeze it into the hole, the reason it works so good on Jon boats is that it has aluminum powder in the sealant allowing it to get a much better seal and it stays longer.

I would still later on go inside and use it to seal the inside also.

Buddychrist said:
Alcoa aluminum gutter seal.

It's the Best stuff I've ever used. Once you fill up your boat with water and mark out your holes.
I second using gutter sealant, I personally use the grey gutter seal made by OSI

Just a warning on Alcoa is to make sure if you are putting it on the outside to not use too much because If you decide to take it off it's not coming off easy, it's made to stay forever, and you always make sure the metal is above 40* degrees and that makes it wick right into the hole

Thanks for all the help. The season here is over Sept 30 so will go with the alcoa for a temp fix and pull the floor the off season.

You can use it for a permanent fix when you pull the carpet and put it in from the top, I'll post an instructable as soon as I get my new tube of Alcoa in the mail

I learned about it from using it with my dad when I was a kid, they're is gutters from early 70's that still have a good seal from Alcoa, it's great stuff

If it's that good I'll give it a whirl. I have a trailer with a boat slip on a lake about 175 miles from my house and I want to be able to turn my back on the boat without worrying about it.

Where does one obtain Alcoa aluminum gutter seal? I googled it went on Alcoa's site and still found nothing.

jr1053 said:
Where does one obtain Alcoa aluminum gutter seal? I googled it went on Alcoa's site and still found nothing.

Vintage trailer supply sells it here is the link!

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Alcoa_Gutterseal_p/vts-138.htm

And here is my instructable on how to install Alcoa properly, the propane torch is not needed but it does help just make sure there is no foam around the area where you are drying for the patch.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26883

All right. Got the stuff. 3 tubes just in case I get sloppy. Gonna head to the lake on Sunday seal the hull and splash the thing Monday. Hope I don't hear the bilge pump.

Anyone wants a testimonial to Alcoa gutter seal I will be happy to give it. All we did was seal the keel and we went from the auto bilge pump tripping once an hour to 2 days in the water bilge pump didn't trip once and the cup of water that came out when I pulled the plug probably came over the motor well when we splashed it. I am a fan.

Latest posts