It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:16
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 11:25 

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 16:20
Posts: 14
Location: Madison, WI
Has anyone done this on the inside of their tin, and are you happy with it? I need to do something with the inside of my boat, and I'm kind of tempted to explore this option. Just wondering if people have done it themsleves and have enjoyed the decision. I'm still trying to find a spray or brush on liner that I can do myself instead of paying for it to be done.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks so much.

-Brian


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 14:09 

Joined: 31 May 2011, 01:30
Posts: 240
Location: NW Georgia
It's been covered many, many times.

It can stop leaks, but can also flake off if the surface is not prepped properly.

Black will be so hot you can not stand on it. Tan, white or beige works better.

That stuff is HEAVY and adds a lot of weight to the boat.

It's a major PITA to remove if you have an issue down the road or decide you don't like it.


Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 14:38 

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 16:20
Posts: 14
Location: Madison, WI
Well I tried searching the topic and I couldn't land any results...sorry


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 16:33 
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2012, 19:10
Posts: 719
Location: Gainesville FL
If you decided to go the bed liner route I would highly recommend going to a professional and having rhino liner done. They know exactly how to prep it and in order for bed liner to stick it needs to be VERY clean.

Just my .02


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 16:52 

Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 01:25
Posts: 636
Location: Jefferson, GA
For the inside of a boat, instead of using standard bed liner, go with aliphatic Grizzly Grip in the color of your choice. You can also select coarse or fine for the textured non slip material.

Here is a link to their website, which is down temporarily so they can catch up on backorders. Good stuff: http://www.grizzlygrip.com/



_________________
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15343
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 19:57 

Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 08:11
Posts: 732
Location: Talladega, Alabanana
Bed liner is a poor choice for a hull coating, most if not all of the people that put it on their boat regret it afterwards... and the boat gets sold with that junk on it instead of trying to remove it.

Bed liner only stops leaks temporarily, another one of the reasons that the boat gets sold with the bed liner on it. Bed liner makes it very difficult to find out exactly where the boat is leaking... and you spend more time chasing leaks and removing bed liner trying to find the leak.

... but don't take my word for this, go ahead and apply it to your boat and find out for yourself.

Gluvit or Coat-it to stop leaks and the a couple good coats of tractor and implement paint over self etching primer is a much better option and it looks a lot nicer too.



_________________
Rum, wenches, and song... just another day on my boat.
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 20:41 

Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 01:25
Posts: 636
Location: Jefferson, GA
jigngrub wrote:
Bed liner is a poor choice for a hull coating,OP said "inside," not hull coating.

most if not all of the people that put it on their boat regret it afterwards... and the boat gets sold with that junk on it instead of trying to remove it.That's why you use it on your decks, not on your hull and you use some thing like Grizzly Grip that designed for boats instead of "bed liner." Different chemical makeup.

Bed liner only stops leaks temporarily, another one of the reasons that the boat gets sold with the bed liner on it. Bed liner makes it very difficult to find out exactly where the boat is leaking... and you spend more time chasing leaks and removing bed liner trying to find the leak.Don't see anywhere original poster mentioned leaks or dealing with leaks.

... but don't take my word for this, go ahead and apply it to your boat and find out for yourself.

Gluvit or Coat-it to stop leaksAgain, no leaks mentioned in OP.

a couple good coats of tractor and implement paint over self etching primer is a much better option and it looks a lot nicer too. Looks are subjective and a matter of opinion. I'm using oil based enamel paint with aliphatic additive (Which is what tractor and implement paint is.) and I've seen in person what the aliphatic Grizzly Grip looks like and have a different color from what I've seen applied in my garage right now I'm about to put on. The Grizzly Grip looks as good or better than the paint and hides flaws much, much better in addition to having a much better grip to walk on. Not only that, but if it's applied PROPERLY by those using it and a two part epoxy primer is used, it adheres better than paint and does not flake off.


Just like any other paint or marine carpet/vinyl, the prep work needs to be done. No, it is not appropriate to use as a hull coating, but is an excellent deck coating when applied correctly.



_________________
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15343
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 21:16 

Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 08:11
Posts: 732
Location: Talladega, Alabanana
DaveInGA wrote:
jigngrub wrote:
Bed liner is a poor choice for a hull coating,OP said "inside," not hull coating.

most if not all of the people that put it on their boat regret it afterwards... and the boat gets sold with that junk on it instead of trying to remove it.That's why you use it on your decks, not on your hull and you use some thing like Grizzly Grip that designed for boats instead of "bed liner." Different chemical makeup.

Bed liner only stops leaks temporarily, another one of the reasons that the boat gets sold with the bed liner on it. Bed liner makes it very difficult to find out exactly where the boat is leaking... and you spend more time chasing leaks and removing bed liner trying to find the leak.Don't see anywhere original poster mentioned leaks or dealing with leaks.

... but don't take my word for this, go ahead and apply it to your boat and find out for yourself.

Gluvit or Coat-it to stop leaksAgain, no leaks mentioned in OP.

a couple good coats of tractor and implement paint over self etching primer is a much better option and it looks a lot nicer too. Looks are subjective and a matter of opinion. I'm using oil based enamel paint with aliphatic additive (Which is what tractor and implement paint is.) and I've seen in person what the aliphatic Grizzly Grip looks like and have a different color from what I've seen applied in my garage right now I'm about to put on. The Grizzly Grip looks as good or better than the paint and hides flaws much, much better in addition to having a much better grip to walk on. Not only that, but if it's applied PROPERLY by those using it and a two part epoxy primer is used, it adheres better than paint and does not flake off.


Just like any other paint or marine carpet/vinyl, the prep work needs to be done. No, it is not appropriate to use as a hull coating, but is an excellent deck coating when applied correctly.


The OP didn't say deck or "floor", he said on the inside of his tin... and the inside of the hull is still the hull.

The main reason most people want to bed liner the inside of their hull is because they don't know how to stop leaks the right way. No... the OP didn't say anything about leaks, but I mentioned Gluvit and Coat-it in case he was thiking the liner would stop leaks.

Bed liner doesn't look too bad on plywood decking, but the OP never said anything about plywood. I've seen a couple of builds with bed liner on plywood decking that looked fairly decent and it's a much better choice than carpet for sure... and it takes very little skill to apply it.

I just try to warn people about putting bed liner on the inside or outside of their hull because I've never heard of anyone that was satisfied with it after the first year... and if those people are the same people I tried to warn I have a good chuckle about it.



_________________
Rum, wenches, and song... just another day on my boat.
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 21:43 
User avatar

Joined: 21 Mar 2010, 19:27
Posts: 307
Location: Southern Utah
I have bed-liner on the inside of my boat and have had for several years and I still like it very much.



_________________
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12789
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:06 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2012, 22:03
Posts: 5
Location: Brunswick, GA
I'm about to put Ultra Tuff down on my boat, there are some people on the forum that have used it. Same concept, but a little different and they have their own primer they recommend. Look up tuffcoat.net and read about it. It can be bought from bass pro or cabela's, but it is cheaper ordering it straight from the company on their ebay store. I'm about to put it on my 16' footer's floors and decks as I HATE carpet.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:38 

Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 01:25
Posts: 636
Location: Jefferson, GA
jigngrub wrote:
The OP didn't say deck or "floor", he said on the inside of his tin... and the inside of the hull is still the hull.According to you, but your definitions aren't the world's definitions, unless you are the Webster Dictionary of the boating world. (NOT)

The main reason most people want to bed liner the inside of their hull is because they don't know how to stop leaks the right way. No... the OP didn't say anything about leaks, but I mentioned Gluvit and Coat-it in case he was thiking the liner would stop leaks.Again, your opinion he was talking about hull.

Bed liner doesn't look too bad on plywood decking, but the OP never said anything about plywood. I've seen a couple of builds with bed liner on plywood decking that looked fairly decent and it's a much better choice than carpet for sure... and it takes very little skill to apply it.Exactly, all you have to do is do the simple prep steps and it works great. BTW, all tin boats DO NOT have plywood decking. Yours might, but others do not. Particularly newer boats.

I just try to warn people about putting bed liner on the inside or outside of their hull because I've never heard of anyone that was satisfied with it after the first year... and if those people are the same people I tried to warn I have a good chuckle about it.I posted about the Grizzly Grip and their long term experience: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25601

And here's another thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26763


It would appear the long term experiences of those that apply the Grizzly Grip (Whom also makes bed liner and the Grizzly Grip is a similar product) and follow the instructions do not coincide with your statements.



_________________
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15343
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:45 

Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 01:25
Posts: 636
Location: Jefferson, GA
coltday wrote:
I'm about to put Ultra Tuff down on my boat, there are some people on the forum that have used it. Same concept, but a little different and they have their own primer they recommend. Look up tuffcoat.net and read about it. It can be bought from bass pro or cabela's, but it is cheaper ordering it straight from the company on their ebay store. I'm about to put it on my 16' footer's floors and decks as I HATE carpet.


I hate carpet too. One thing I found and preferred ordering straight from the company vs. from a retailer is they take your order, then they make the batch you ordered and ship it straight to you. So when you get the stuff, the chemicals are fresh and work their best. I've used bedliner that sat for quite a while on a retailers shelf with less than desirable results, so getting it fresh was important to me.

I do think it's worth while, if you're going to use a bed liner type material in a boat, that you prep properly and use the recommended primer for the material you are putting it on. The aliphatic blend I mentioned in my earlier post is preferred for boats due to it becomes harder and stands up to heat/sun/moisture/traffic much better.



_________________
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15343
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 23:46 
Site Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 15:40
Posts: 1912
Location: Lawrenceville Georgia
I prefer grizzly grip over tuffcoat myself, have used grizzly grip myself, and have fished over a tuffcoat deck.



_________________
Image

Bustin' Bass
My Second Tin, Not my last as I don't like it already!
My first Tin
Online
 Profile WWW  
 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 00:07 
Site Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:26
Posts: 3365
Location: Cartersville, Ga
Bugpac wrote:
I prefer grizzly grip over tuffcoat myself...


I do too. I've installed the Tuff Coat in a boat I've owned, but I'm not the biggest fan of the texture.

I had a customer Line-X a boat after I finished the fabrication, and last I've heard, he was very pleased with the results.

Now, I say all this in regard to the deck surface for traction/ease of cleanup, NOT as a leak repair/preventative on hull.



_________________
Image

Who is John Galt?

Lowe 1756 tournament electric only boat
G3 1756 tournament electric only rig
Tracker 1448 aft bench storage
Tracker 1754 Deck Extension
Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 00:34 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2012, 22:03
Posts: 5
Location: Brunswick, GA
Until now, I hadn't really looked at Grizzly Grip. I had before when I bought the boat, but forgot about it when I found Ultra Tuff. Without calling seeing as the website is down, how much does a kit run? Gallon of grip, and the primer?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bassnbrian, Bing [Bot], ccm, cr4evans, Google Adsense [Bot], Grizzly36, hookem_horns, Jacobrichardsx, saltybob, satx78247 and 129 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

mud-skipper