Noob question on seam sealing.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Wolf

Reaction score
I just got a 14 Sylvan that I’m starting to work on. I’m in the process of removing the plywood the PO placed over the original floor. I can see that the original floor is rotting and the foam underneath is waterlogged. While working on the trailer I noticed a slight drip coming from the keel, maybe one drip every 30 seconds. Surely not enough to be a problem while boating, but I figure if I have everything out I might as well seal it up. It couldn’t hurt.
I’d like to seal the seam, replace the foam and put the newer layer of plywood (which is in good shape) back in.
I’ve seen from several threads that the proper way is to use either, Gluvit, Coat-it or Steel Flex. Gluvit is more expensive and all would have to be ordered to get the best price. I assume a good cleaning and possibly wiping down with a solvent for better adhesion is in order.

Any real difference between them or just personal preference?

Thanks

I've sealed rivets with a sealer you can purchase at cabelas. Its essentially melt on silicon. Its fairly inexpensive. I have no personal experience with the products you've mentioned, but the cabelas stuff has always worked like a charm for me.

Gluvit is outstanding. It is known as a tin boats best friend. I used it for the first time this spring. I could not be more happy. It is not cheap. The end result and the appearance will make you happy.

Terry Sandlin

Like you said, first step is to get all the old wood and foam out and give the aluminum a good solid cleaning. Then look things over closely and maybe do a leak test. Replace any loose or badly leaking rivets.

If you have access from the inside, Gluvit is an excellent product to seal up all the seams from the inside. It works very well.

If you only have a few small leaks, 3M 5200 Marine sealant is fantastic stuff too and might be a bit cheaper if you get a small tube.

I do not like steelflex ... or anything that coats the outside of the hull for that matter .... it chips off on rocks fairly easily and will allow water to get trapped against your hull causing corrosion.

x3 on gluvit.....2lb. can will do all the seams and rivets on your 14' tinny. This hard protective coating flexes with hull movements to bridge and seal hairline cracks too. Good luck.

Latest posts