Minn Kota PD40 Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLaudy

Reaction score
I recently got a good deal on a Minn Kota PD40 trolling motor. Of course I have never owned one and know nothing about them. The fella hooked a battery up to it and showed me it worked but I never checked anything else on it. Well I got it home and installed it on the boat and when I hooked it to the battery it automatically turns on. I cannot figure out how to turn it off, change speeds, make it turn or any of that. Its like the foot control doesn't work at all.

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer.

- Does the foot piece control everything such as turning it off?
- Is there an off switch anywhere else on the trolling motor?
- If I plug the motor into the battery without the foot piece hooked up, should it be turned on and the prop spinning?

Sorry for all the questions. Trying to figure out if this is a foot panel issue or something else. Do not want to order a new foot control if that isn't the issue.

Thanks for any help.

N,

I bought a PD V2 45lb thrust last spring. I am not sure how old your motor is, but I am sure they are very similar.

1) On mine, the foot pedal controls everything. The speed the motor runs to the direction the motor turns.

2) Other than plugging the motor in or hooking it up the the battery, there is no other switch to turn or off.

3) The prop should not be spinning when hooked up to the battery unless it is turned on through the foot pedal.

Does the foot pedal control anything on the motor move at all?

If there is a "con" button or tab on the foot pedal, hook the TM up to the battery, and if the prop spins, then push the "con" button (constant on/possibly a green light as well) and the prop should stop/green light go out. I have a MK Terrova and the PD is similar to Terrova but I've never used a PD. Suggest you google Minn Kota and find the owners manual, and download it, its out there. GL

Thanks for the information fellas. The trolling motor isn't responding to the foot pedal at all. Just for a test, I unhooked the plug between the trolling motor and the foot pedal and when I plug the trolling motor into the battery the trolling motor starts spinning. From what I understand, that shouldn't be happening.

Latest posts