1969 Polar Kraft jon Transom replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Appal

Reaction score
I've gotten loads of helpful information from this list. One thing I especially like is that there is no flaming from folks who already know how to do things.

I removed the transom brace that had been floating in sealant. Also removed the homemade aluminum jack plate on the inside of the boat and the piece of steel plate reinforcement that was on the outside of the transom. Then I decided to replace the transom, because I just did not trust the quality of work that I saw there.

I cut two pieces of 1/2 inch exterior plywood (marine grade is not that findable here in the mountains) to match the old transom. I need to glue those pieces together. I've not glued so much surface before. How is the best way to apply waterproof glue on two pieces that are 40-52 inches by 16 inches?

I used Tite-bond III waterproof glue and a 1" wide paint brush that I cut the bristles down to about half the length.
Pour out a lot of the glue and spread it out with the brush. I used 2 screws to keep the 2 pieces of plywood aligned and piled a lot of weight evenly on the transom.

That's just what I need to know. How many bottles did you use? What sort of epoxy did you use after the glue cured?

A quart bottle should do but we have gallon jugs in the shop. I used 4 coats Spar urethane on each side and 6 or more on the edges then the paint color of my choice.

Before laminating the two layers together be sure that you are NOT using pressure treated wood. The chemicals inside will cause pitting in your hull. Instead, be sure to use non-PT, exterior grade plywood (1/2"-3/4"), then seal it with 2-part epoxy, Spar Urethane or several coats of exterior paint. You'll then need to mount it to the transom using stainless steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk. You should be able to find everything you need at lowes/hd with the exception of the epoxy, but they do have Spar Urethane which works quite well.

The key is to squeeze the pieces with a lot of weight on a flat floor for a good bond. 52" x 16" should have a couple hundred pounds of weight or a ton of clamps to hold the pieces together. You really don't want air bubbles between the plies.

Yep, it's exterior untreated plywood. Plan to follow all the suggestions--glue, weight, seal (bought Helmsman Spar Urethane today), SS nuts & bolts with 5200. Temps are too cold or variable to try glue up just now. Not sure how to get 200 lbs weight in the plywood. I was going to use some 2x10s to distribute the weight and put some cement blocks on top. I have no clamps that will work any place but the edges.

I used 100 paver bricks and 6 large cinder blocks all gotten for free on craigs list.

Latest posts