Deck or no Deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassmanET

Reaction score
Hello all,
Been creeping on here for some time now. Just bought a tracker 1436 & can't decide whether to deck it or not? Fish mostly lakes & ponds 100-300 acres, electric only mostly with a few gas one mixed in(6hp Johnson). My last boat was a crawdad with electric motor only, which I could stand & fish from even with my 6yr old son who loves to fish with me (just had to keep an eye on him). Got in one trip with my new jon boat & my son (its winter up here & ice is a coming). It was more of a test run to see how stable it was & how the 6hp Johnson pushed it. Felt a little tippy at first but got used to it, then tried standing on middle seat. Again, kinda tippy but not real bad? Worried that with my son (who can't sit still for more than 10 seconds) a deck on the front of boat (like many I've seen here) would be too unstable for me. Seen a few jon boat that have a small deck in front only (enough to mount a trolling motor, fishfinder & some storage) which looks like a good comprise.

Looking for some input, anyone who has had this size jon boat? Thanks !!

Welcome to TinBoats! :mrgreen:

Nice place here with a lot of great info & a nice group of members!

You can probably find what your looking for by doing a search... The search feature here works very well and ''should'' turn up some info on your boat!

EDIT:

I did a search and a lot of info came back!

In the search, type in: Decking a Tracker 1436.

If the manufacturer offered the same hull with a casting deck, then it may be a good idea. If not, then maybe they decided that the hull was too small. A 1436 is not a big boat. More weight is never your friend, especially in a small boat or placed up high.
Your tippy-test results have already given you to question the idea. May I suggest a temporary deck that can be dropped in and removed if desired. If it proves too unstable it can come out without leaving screw holes behind.

Boat2fast said:
If the manufacturer offered the same hull with a casting deck, then it may be a good idea. If not, then maybe they decided that the hull was too small. A 1436 is not a big boat. More weight is never your friend, especially in a small boat or placed up high.
Your tippy-test results have already given you to question the idea. May I suggest a temporary deck that can be dropped in and removed if desired. If it proves too unstable it can come out without leaving screw holes behind.

Yeah, thanks was just thinkin the same thing, a drop in deck! I could take it out when I fish with my son & leave it in when I'm alone
Bought the 1436 with the thought of being able to fish small electric only lakes, my crawdad was great for just that. Wishing now that I had ponied up the extra $400 & went with the 1542 :? . Hey it will still catch fish deck or no deck :lol: !! But, it will be modified for sure!

Latest posts