Mounting transom mount trolling motor up front ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodknee1231

Reaction score
I got a Minn kota 30lb for my 14 ft starcraft and I fish by myself a lot obviously my favorite spot on the boat is the front so I wanna control it from there so how if anyone have you guys mounted a transom mount up front I'm strapped for cash at the moment so keep it cheap lol

Here's how my old one was mounted wasn't really impressed with it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427422344089.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427422344089.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,272
On my first boat I was in the same situation. I turned the head/handle assembly around and mounted to the bow gunwale similar in placement to the one pictured. I put a 10" or so section of scrap furring strip on both the inside and outside of the boat to give the clamps some meat to tighten to other than my hull. It only lasted until I could afford a second hand bow unit. The deployment and stowing of the motor was a total hassle and took way longer than I liked. When the wind was up or getting the boat to the trailer in an electric only lake was a nightmare. Otherwise it did work, but only as long as was absolutely necessary because it was a pain.

The other option I have seen is someone mounting it on the transom with the handle turned around. They would face the transome while fishing an area and then spin the motor and do forward from place to place.

How sturdy is that front deck? Is it rigid mounted to the boat? If so, I'd get some 2x2 or 2x4s and a sheet of plywood and build a permanent mount for it. Or you can spring for rivets and some angle aluminum.

Some angle aluminum could be the way i go, that deck is very sturdy I stand on it all the time I'm 185 lbs

To get something to clamp to I did this for my small boat.

image.jpg

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) wrt a bow mounted transom trolling motor. That mount looks nice, how did you make it if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks

I have what SumDumGuy has. Get 2x4 of whatever material you want to use to build the mount, find a friend with a router, and route half the hole out of each piece. Drill some holes through to put bolts through for mounting to the boat. Bingo, done.

i have done it also. i had a machined aluminum L bracket. turned the head around. worked good but i had a flat deck to mount to. i want to get rid of my foot control and use a hand control up front . dang pedal takes up a lot of room. good luck

Like moloch16 said a router would be ideal.
I ended up using a couple chunks of 2x4, clamped them together and hit 'em with a spade bit in a drill press.

Latest posts