Any tips on securing a Super Bait Tank?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a way to secure my 30 gal SBT2 to my Jon. I took it out yesterday for its maiden voyage. While loading the boat back up on the trailer the FULL tank slid over to my side of the boat and made the 1444 tippy to say the least.

I don't have a floor in the boat. Just the exposed ribs. I'm considering cutting 1" angle braces and tack them on the ribs that it sits on but am interested in any other solutions you guys may have. Him trying to avoid any straps or ropes that would take up more floor space.

It would probably help if we could see exactly what you are working with. A couple of pics could go a long ways toward coming up with other ideas.

I'm trying to post a picture from my phone but it's upside down. Just imagine a tank sitting on the ribs of a job boat. I have it slid further forward than in the picture.

Turnbuckles seem like a good idea but how did you attach them to the tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,372
redrum said:
I'm trying to post a picture from my phone but it's upside down. Just imagine a tank sitting on the ribs of a job boat. I have it slid further forward than in the picture.

Turnbuckles seem like a good idea but how did you attach them to the tank?

Attached some handles to the tank and some eye-bolts to the boat. Turnbuckles worked out nice. Low profile...no straps dangling around...solid hold.

What kind of strapping did you use between the turnbuckle and eye bolts? chain? I have to figure out how to get a connection point on the tank. The top and bottom are thick but the sides are kinda thin unlike the gray lines.

I've got a 50 gallon sbt II in my boat and I just got 4 stainless screws and got my bait tank where I wanted it and screwed them into the floor of my boat as close to the edge of the tank as I could get them on each corner, the head of the screw kinda grips the bottom plate of the tank. It never moves. If you want to take the tank out, just unscrew the screws.

Well i've since swapped out for a smaller 20 gallon tank and a larger 1648 boat. I ended up riveting some 1" aluminum angle to the ribs to hold the tank. I also made some loops out of an old ratchet strap and secured them to the lid bolts then used two cam buckle straps to hold the tank to the brackets. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• all straps installed.jpg
    all straps installed.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,229
  • tank installed left.jpg
    tank installed left.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • tank installed with lid open.jpg
    tank installed with lid open.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,229
Very clean and that is a very nice tank. I'd knock the corners off the brackets. I go barefoot a lot so I'm always on the lookout for something to stub my toe on. ;-)

What do you mostly use your tank for? Striper fishing?

Yeah I am a long type worried about catching a toe or falling on the edge of that angle. I'll probably take the grinder to it and smooth out the edge.

I use the tank mainly for gizzard and threadfin shad. Fishing for Striper and flatheads or whatever bites :).

I realize you already came to a solution (looks great btw), but figured I'd chime in for future users who find the post using the search feature. I am going to soon buy a new open floor jon boat, and similar to you would like to have cooler livewell/baitwell that can be removed but secured to the center of the floor when in use. I plan to put an aluminum floor over the ribs, so my thinking was to to attach a few flush mounted d-rings to the floor that could be used for hooking bungees or ratchet straps.

D-Ring-in-action.jpg

Latest posts