Floatation for added weight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on putting a deck up front along with TM, two batteries and a 20# charger. Will floatation offset the balance of the boat?

No.
Floatation foam only comes into effect when your boat is full of water.

I am a little confused, are you referring to floatation that is inside the boat hull like foam under the seats or are you planning on adding floatation pods? As mentioned above if you are referring to the floatation inside the boat, that only comes into play when the boat is full of water. The purpose of floatation is to displace water. Pods will add displacement volume and allow the boat to float higher but, only in the rear of the boat where they are mounted. Typically, most boats are stern heavy due to the motor, gas tank and operator in the back, that is why pods are added to help offset that.

I'm putting a deck in the bow, along with a Terrova 80#, two series 29 batteries, and a20# Minn-Kota charger. Plus myself at 160#.I just think it's a lot of weight, maybe some added flotation may balance the weight distribution. The boat is a 16' Crestliner.

The hull of the boat displacing water is what floats it, the size of the hull dictates how much it can carry.

Floatation is usually very light (Styrofoam for example), air pockets will give a boat floatation for that matter, but only when the hull is sunk. It will do nothing for weight distribution although if you sink the boat and the floatation is not distributed properly the boat may not float level, most of the time the motor sinks the stern and only the bow is poking out. Is this what you are referring to?

Any floatation material added to the interior of your boat (under floor/seats etc) only comes into play when the interior of you boat becomes swamped/filled with water. It keeps you from sinking completely.

Pics of the crestliner? I have a 1995 Crestliner mod-v 16' side console with a 50 hp mercury 2 stroke. I found it to be too stern heavy. I eliminated the 6 gallon fuel tank in the rear and went with a 12 gallon mounted behind the front casting deck. It really brought the rear up and completely changed the way the boat comes up on plane and rides.
I have recently added a bow mount 45 thrust trolling motor and a group 29 battery mounted under the front deck. I haven't had it out yet to see how she rides yet.

Latest posts