Buying a 1976 14" Starcraft, saltwater...?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymoussy

Reaction score
There is an interesting package for sale near me, 14 ft Starcraft, with decent motor, trailer.

The boat is a 1976, was used at least some of the time in saltwater, and looks like it's got fresh paint on hull.

Newbie with tin boats, should I chance it....or pick it up as an opportunity to learn... :?:

I guess I need to brush up on visual inspection.

What do you say?

I'd probably be cautious with the fresh paint (just me); however, having the owner take you for a test run on a nearby body of water would let you know (A) how the motor runs (B) if the boat has any leaks and allow you to have a bit more time looking the boat over while you're in it.

You've got to start somewhere. If you can't get a test ride (December), then see if you can put a few inches of water in the hull on the driveway.

Check for leaks; start and run the motor with a muff or a garbage can full of water; inspect everything as best you can. For $30.00 you can buy a cylinder compression tester.

Lots of things to look out for. But, unless the hull is severely damaged, or the motor has major issues, most things can be fixed.

There are many thousands of aluminum boats running in saltwater. Mine is one of them.

richg99

Well put richg99.

I too have a tin boat that spent time in salt water. No damage that I found when I stripped it to the hull.

Latest posts