1990 dominator - foot control mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledneck22

Reaction score
So I just bought a 1990 Dominator. The trolling motor that was on the boat was a 1991 MK powerdrive. The previous owners stored the foot control away in a compartment after every use. I find that annoying especially with the foot control sliding around on the deck.
I have a MK edge 55 I bought a few years ago which I mounted on the bow in place of the old trolling motor.
So my question is, does anyone have pictures of a similar boat which they made a cable foot control work well. In the center of the platform, I have the battery box lid and a door for the front compartment under the actual trolling motor. So it seems that i'd have to mount the foot control on the access door to the front battery if I wanted it secured down in the center.
Has anyone modified that battery access door or seen something else done?

My thoughts are to switch which side the hinge is on the battery lid in the deck and mount the foot control to the lid. But then when i lift the lid to check the battery/charge, i have to prop the lid up because the foot control is attached to it.
Maybe someone has an ingenious quick release bracket for these foot controls I could use? then I could just move the control out of the way when I need to charge the battery or access that battery compartment.

Any positive feedback here would be very helpful before I make any more mods.
Thanks,
Kyle

Is your decking carpet?

If so, I cut a 1/4" thick piece of ply to the contour of my old foot peddle and screwed it into the holes on the underside of the peddle. I then put anti-slip tape on the bottom. Didn't eliminate a moving peddle entirely, but helped quite a bit.

Yes, the deck is carpet. It's an all original boat. I'll have to take some pictures tonight to more clearly define the issue I believe I'm going to have on the water. I think the foot control is going to be too close to the pedestal on the deck without being completely attached to the deck and slid as far forward as possible.

I have a 2000 Dominator that I am currently rebuilding (see my build; linked in my sig), but unsure if its about the same design that you have. Here are some pics of a Dominator that is exactly like the one I am rebuilding now that I found parked in a lot one day. I took a bunch of pics of it for a reference.

Here are the pics of the front with a TM and foot pedestal. Is this what you are looking for are trying to achieve?
20141006_143559.jpg
20141006_143417.jpg
20141006_143401.jpg

Here's a picture of the front of my boat. Must be my dominator is a bit older that the front deck changed a little. You can see the front storage compartment but not the battery box below the foot pedal. Bad picture taking on my behalf.
But what I've found since getting the newer trolling motor mounted is it might be best to just leave the pedal loose. I am going to find something like male Velcro to put on the bottom of the pedal to prevent it from sliding around too much. If I don't like how the pedal sits after a couple outings, then maybe I'll switch things up at that point.

Attachments

• 20160213_134649.jpg
    20160213_134649.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 792
You may want to be able to move it around. I don't like to screw it down as I move around the boat. Fish from the side, maybe switch to the other side, or maybe I'm trolling slowly and want to keep the pedal in front of me dead center. I hated how the cable steered motors' foot pedal was tethered to the motor, it was hard to move it around, so I tried a wireless. Took some getting used to but I absolutely love it now. Sometimes I'll just use a wire tie to tie the fob to the fishing rod if I'm casting a lot. And if my dad goes with me, he sits in front and because of his eyesight, I run the trolling motor from the back. GF is the same way but she isn't blind, she would rather fish than steer...and that's usually why she skunks me. But either way its all in good fun.

Velcro is a great idea.

turbotodd said:
You may want to be able to move it around. I don't like to screw it down as I move around the boat. Fish from the side, maybe switch to the other side, or maybe I'm trolling slowly and want to keep the pedal in front of me dead center. I hated how the cable steered motors' foot pedal was tethered to the motor, it was hard to move it around, so I tried a wireless. Took some getting used to but I absolutely love it now. Sometimes I'll just use a wire tie to tie the fob to the fishing rod if I'm casting a lot. And if my dad goes with me, he sits in front and because of his eyesight, I run the trolling motor from the back. GF is the same way but she isn't blind, she would rather fish than steer...and that's usually why she skunks me. But either way its all in good fun.

Velcro is a great idea.

The reason I went with cable drive a few years ago is because I like to be able to put my foot on the pedal, and know exactly where my trolling motor is pointing without looking down. But I was just using a butt seat on the front where now I have a bucket seat. So might wish I had a stronger power drive than what was originally equiped on the boat. (it had a 36 which I swapped for the 50 edge).
Maybe a few years down the road I can upgrade and get a stronger powerdrive with i-pilot. but for now I'll probably deal with a loose foot pedal. (1st world problems I tell ya)

Here's a picture of the bow again with me sitting in the chair on the deck looking down at the foot control. Now you can see the hinge the control is sitting on and the vertical door underneath the trolling motor for storage.
What's everyone's thought's and ideas for some kind of quick release mounting system for the foot control.
I think I'm going to want it mounted down when in use but need to be able to get to the trolling motor battery after a day out fishing.

Attachments

• bow foot control.jpg
    bow foot control.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 737

Latest posts