Deck paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutyranger

Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some advice and am not having any luck in my search. Last summer I replaced all my plywood deck with aluminum. I didn't have time to finish it out before winter set in. I'm trying to decide on a finish for the new aluminum deck. I had planned on cutting out cheap anti fatigue mats from harbor freight and gluing them down. I'm wondering if there's a paint that might be better for the job? I'm looking for something I can lay on fairly think to give some cushion, something to stay cool on the little one's feet for play, something that's fairly durable for hunting and fishing out of, and something that doesn't add to much weight to my little 16' lowe. What's worked well for you guys?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm still up in the air. Right now it's between EVA foam, like Seadeck or Hydroturf, and some sort of anti-skid bed liner.

I used this coating in my build, they're not a site sponsor as far as I know but it is close to me in Missouri and is a great product. I think it's priced at about $70 per gallon with a 3 gallon minimum. With one gallon I single coated by entire boat, 1648, and second coated the bow and stern decks.

https://www.bipacco.com/

Tony Brady is the owner and you contact through email. I'm very happy with this in my boat, definitely recommend it.

dutyranger said:
I'm looking for something I can lay on fairly think to give some cushion, something to stay cool on the little one's feet for play, something that's fairly durable for hunting and fishing out of, and something that doesn't add to much weight to my little 16' lowe.

Cheap carpet would meet most or all of your criteria. Maybe you could screw it down with trim strips around the perimeter so you can replace it easily.

I suggest something like this:

https://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

The problem with carpet and the Seadek materials is that they absorb and trap water, this will lead to mildew problems and galvanic corrosion of the aluminum decking... and the carpet type materials will stain , look nasty, are hard to keep clean and require regular cleaning, and will need to be replaced every 5 or 6 years.

A waterproof finish that sheds water easily and dries quickly is much more desirable. I prefer the vinyl deck covering material like Nautolex vinyl. It looks real nice and is very durable:

I used it on my boat over plywood decking, but it can be applied to aluminum as well with a proper primer before gluing it down.

i used the durabak on mine also and it worked great. has really taken a beating with anchors and such and hasnt started to peel any. prep is the key to making it last. it comes textured and 1 gallon covers a lot. probably got 5 coats on my front deck and even covered trailer fenders and tongue for grip.

Latest posts