Jon Boat Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68rs327

Reaction score
I am going to start prepping my boat for paint this weekend.
What is the proper paint to use? I want to paint the boat the "Duck Boat" color.
I was going to use this brand paint from Home Depot (Duralux marine paint)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duralux-Marine-Paint-1-gal-Camouflage-Duck-Boat-Drab-Marine-Flat-Enamel-M691-1/205128261?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205128285-_-205128261-_-N

But, read on the reviews that it scratches easily? Also read color is more a military vehicle desert tan color?
Have any of you used this brand?
What brand would you recommend?
Also, the paint I was looking at says it is a "Durable, water resistant alkyd enamel"... Is a alkyd enamel the proper paint I should be using?

Thanks again...

I used Duralux "dead grass green" on mine, that particular color is more of a tan than green, that may have been the color you mentioned that looks like a desert tan, I like it you may not.
I'm happy with it, I would think any paint will scratch, and don't know if a hardener could be added to possibly make it more durable.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 2,639
I used Duralux Marine Paint Model # M736-1 1-gal. Aluminum Boat Green Marine Enamel from Home Depot on my boat. The only issues I have had with it is where my straps hold the boat to the trailer, it wears the paint to bare aluminum. I figure any paint would wear if it was under straps tho.

If you chose this paint, I would suggest not using a cheap roller, it will eat it away. I have a thread with my boat and shows the paint job.

Let us know what you went with and how it worked for you.

overboard said:
I used Duralux "dead grass green" on mine, that particular color is more of a tan than green, that may have been the color you mentioned that looks like a desert tan, I like it you may not.
I'm happy with it, I would think any paint will scratch, and don't know if a hardener could be added to possibly make it more durable.
Thanks for sharing this. I really like that color and instead of parker paint I'm going with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FormerParatrooper said:
I used Duralux Marine Paint Model # M736-1 1-gal. Aluminum Boat Green Marine Enamel from Home Depot on my boat. The only issues I have had with it is where my straps hold the boat to the trailer, it wears the paint to bare aluminum. I figure any paint would wear if it was under straps tho.

If you chose this paint, I would suggest not using a cheap roller, it will eat it away. I have a thread with my boat and shows the paint job.

I will be spraying the paint with my spray gun... Do you need to thin the Duralux paint?
If so, what thinner is recommended?

68rs327 said:
FormerParatrooper said:

I will be spraying the paint with my spray gun... Do you need to thin the Duralux paint?
If so, what thinner is recommended?

I am not sure about a thinner for spraying, I just rolled mine. Still came out decent.

Latest posts