Advice on transom rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishizzle

Reaction score
Been working on bringing this 84 Bluefin vhull back to life. The maiden voyage went well except one minor detail... the transom is toast. Pulled it apart last weekend, pretty fun, nothing like some 30+ year old hardware. The transom was 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together it appears.

Should I just use basic exterior plywood for the rebuild?

Should I use wood glue to bond the two pieces together?

What should I coat the wood with before install?

Heres the transom after a test run with my 15hp:

Heres some pics of getting the rotten wood out:

two pieces of 3/4" exterior A/B or B/C plywood laminated together
with Titebond III Waterproof Glue or epoxy.
sand smooth
mix 8 ounces of a varnish sealing formula
WaterProofing Formula.jpg
Titebond III.jpg

there are dozens of threads on this very subject.
use the search feature to find a method that you would prefer.
you can also use the same waterproofing formula on your floor boards.
(which is highly recommended).

10-4 thanks!

Want to do this once the right way. Going to build a floor in the boat while I'm at it.

Fishizzle,

i used two pieces of exterior ply on my transom, however i did not glue them together. Both were coated at least three times with helmsman spar urethane.

I agree with Johnny on using exterior grade ply, as long as you fully protect it. The extra cost of marine grade, in my opinion, is just not worth it for this kind of application. Exterior grade will have voids -- you can fill the ones you can see. The boiled linseed oil will help prevent the surface of the ply from checking. Glue the two pieces together before coating with the BLO/thinner/varnish mix. Obviously, a waterproof glue should be used.

I recently built a new transom for my 12 foot Gregor. I went ended up laminating 3 layers together to get the proper thickness (I believe 2 layers of 1/2" and one layer of 5/8"). The 1/2" was marine grade, and the 5/8" was A/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts