Old Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCraftHans

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just joined today and after looking though some of the posts I believe I came to the right place. I just picked up an older Starcraft 14' V and the id tag is barely legible. I can make out that it is a Starcraft 14' Super Duty and I have the serial number which is a 6 digit number starting with 57.

So starting out I am looking for help to determine the year of my boat. Not sure if that really makes a difference but it would be nice to know.

2nd, you already answered this question. Can I take out the metal boxes under the bench seats that hold the old white Styrofoam. It sounds like that is a bad idea. I will probably replace it with the pink or blue stuff. I was hoping to leave these boxes out instead of sanding them down and repainting them.

I want to replace the actual benches because of rot and cracks. Not sure what kind of wood to use to span the 52" space. There is a 3/4" bracket I have to slide the wood back in to and the bracket is riveted to the side. Sounds like painting is the best option based on the group here.

Other items I want to deal with are: replacing the plywood on the transom, finding a new drain plug or replacing the whole unit. I found 2 sizes at our local Fleet Farm but I need one that is in the middle of these. Kinda sounds like a story here, you know with the bears...

I am taking out the 2 sets of oar brackets along with the 1-1/2 oars and replacing with new.

I am mounting a plastic ? mounting board on the transom to mount my transducer to, how do I make sure to not get any leaks doing this?

There was an old anchor bracket mounted on the bow that I took off, not using, and found that it was holding part of the bow cap together. Sorry about my terminology here, please correct me as needed. So where do I find a replacement for that? I don't have the dims right now.

Then I want to paint the floor and also the top portion of the outside above the waterline. Looking for help on how to remove, prep and finish both. I was thinking of using bed liner material for the floor but I can't find it in anything but black. So maybe just mixing in some silica sand in whatever paint I get.

I'll come back back in a couple of days to check on all the good advice I feel is coming and thank you for it in advance.

StarCraft Hans

Looks like I used the wrong forum, so I copied it over here

Over on iboats there is a listing of StarCraft serial numbers. As far as the seats, removing floatation is never a good idea. If you've never swamped a boat you are fortunate I never thought I would either until I hit a wave at a bad angle while trying to start a motor that was not cooperating. Long story short, leave the floatation in, hopefully you'll never be glad you have it. I did my seats in 1" rough pine planned down to 7/8. It just fit the brackets. Stained and coated with 3 coats of helmsmen spar urethane. The floatation boxes add rigidity to the seats. Here is a link to the refresh I did on a beat up old 12 footer.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44152

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

SCHans, welcome to TB. We all enjoy looking at pic's. Put some up if you get a chance.

I am going to admit to a personal bias here, but I do not like to see bed liner used on a boat. I think what fun future maintenance is going to be when someone has to remove that stuff. Also agree with you about the black liner not being a great color for the inside. Anyway, that is just me. YMMV.

Thanks for sharing you story WM, the boat looks great.

I agree with you LDUBS, I would hate to tackle that job. I will see if I can figure out how to add some pics

OK, I'm probably not the best guy to try to explain this but here goes

How to add a photo that is saved on your computer:

From the Post a reply screen, click on the "Attachments" button at the bottom of the screen.

Attach button.png

Then click on the "Add Files" button:

Add File button.png

Select the pic you want to post. Then position the curser where you wan the pic to be in the dialog box and then click the "Place Inline" button:

Place Inline.png

To add more photos just keep clicking on the "Add Files" button. That is what I did for this post.

Hope this works.

Looks like some good bones. I used a piece of 2x10 for my transom. That little bit of plywood isn't doing anything for strength back there.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts