G3 1756SC "inside hull"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I had to change the transducer for my depthfinder. The power cable from the console to the bow fell into the hull and I can't figure out a way to get to it.
Can't get to it from the access port on the bow. Can't get to it through the storage compartments or through the live well.
Tried two sided tape, a back scratcher with that little hand, regular cardboard. Tried to take a video but not enough light or too much light.
I'm about ready to just run a wire top side and be done with it but I don't know which fuse box the line runs from.
Anything would be great!
thanks

I picked up a tool at the parts store that I call a "grabber". Basically the end that you work is a tee handle, and the "working" end, when you push the t handle in, out comes a claw. If you can see the wire or the end of it, this tool might work.

when I moved into the house I'm at, I was doing a general check of everything. In the plumbing vent on the roof I saw a drain snake stuck in it, about 8 foot down. Had to get creative on that one. Took a piece of 10' long copper pipe (that's what I had, PVC would work), ran a string all the way through and left plenty sticking out of both ends. On one end, I drilled a small hole through one side of the tubing and tied the end of the string to it. Then slid the pipe/string down the vent, got the loop of the string around the snake, pulled my end of the string and held it tight, which pulled the loop tight against the drain snake and then lifted it up. This also might work-IF you can see it.

Something sticky on a dowel might also work, again if you can see the end of the wire. Maybe some bubble gum on a stick?

Another option if you can find the end, or see it at least. At the console, pull the power wire out. Then run a fish tape from where you want it go to the console, tie the wire to the fish tape, and then pull the other end. Alternatively you could tie a string to the fish tape, pull it on through, cut it off so that both ends are accessible (bow and console), tie your wire to it and pull it on through. "Fish tape" can be a couple wire coat hangers straightened out, dowel stick, tig rods, whatever you can come up with. If you "think" you might have to do it again, run a pair of strings, leave one in the hull where you can get to it so that the next time you have to run a wire, it's already there & you don't have to fight so much with it.

Last ideas I've got in my pea brain is can you remove any more panels for access? Will removing the bow light get you any more access?

Will a flexible vacuum hose fit inside where the lost cable might be? Might be able to capture it that way? Or maybe put a curlicue or spiral on the end of a relatively stiff wire, insert, move around while twisting and you might be able to catch it.

If all else fails, turn the boat upside down and shake it real hard. :LOL2:

There are multiple versions of g3 1756's so you might want to include a pic of exactly which one you have questions about. Mine has hatches with plastic bins that can be removed for access.

JohnK said:
There are multiple versions of g3 1756's so you might want to include a pic of exactly which one you have questions about. Mine has hatches with plastic bins that can be removed for access.

1756SC base model

maintenanceguy said:
An opportunity to cut a small hatch for access later?

I will be expanding the current bow access from baseball sized to a wider rectangle. Don't know what to cut it with though.

the hammer said:
maintenanceguy said:
An opportunity to cut a small hatch for access later?

I will be expanding the current bow access from baseball sized to a wider rectangle. Don't know what to cut it with though.

Sheet metal nibbler. I don't have one so I'd use a hand held jig saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade.

Latest posts