Annoying transom rattle/vibration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexB

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I have a quick question.

A while back I replaced the transom wood in my old 12’ Gregor aluminum skiff. The replacement went well (thanks for the tips!) but now I’ve got an annoying rattle. At certain speeds/RPMs, the aluminum transom “skin” vibrates and rattles loudly against the transom wood. If I push lightly against the wood, it stops. Seems there is just the right amount of gap between the two materials.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to solve this without drilling new holes or removing the wood?

One thought I had was to see if I could squirt a little bit of expanding foam in there to occupy the void space and deaden the vibration. Or, maybe flip the boat upside down and dribble a little silicone (of other soft, non-permanent adhesive type material) into the crack between the wood and aluminum?

This isn’t a pretty boat, so I’m not too concerned about aesthetics. I just want the annoying rattle to stop.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

~Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, at least you know where the rattle is coming from. If the gap is big enough to dribble some goop down into it, maybe try pushing some appropriately sized foam backer rod material in first to see if that eliminates the rattle. I wouldn't force something in that would widen the gap. Cut the foam rod if needed so it just fits. You will at least know that the rattle can be tamed. Then you can either leave the foam backer rod and call it done, or remove it and do a more permanent fix with some goop that is aluminum friendly (I read in other posts that generic silicone caulk will corrode aluminum).

I have a cable somewhere in the transom that when the harmonics are just right makes a rat-a-tat-tat noise that drives me crazy. I keep meaning to bring a piece of pipe insulation to wrap around the guilty cable or hose. But, I seem to always forget.

Can you remove the transom cap and push that ‘foam rope or tubing’ that carpenters/contractors use in deep cracks to caulk over down into the gap? Use aluminum trim nails to put cap back in place. Do NOT use silicone, as the curing agent actually attacks tin. Maybe even Gorilla Glue, as I believe that ‘expands’ when curing, to make the seal.

Latest posts