Home built spider rig (rod holders)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quackrstackr

Reaction score
I finally remembered to snap a picture of these while I had the boat uncovered.

These are rock solid and I did not have to drill any holes in the boat. The bracket that bolts to the boat is bent aluminum flat bar. The uprights are 1/2" cold rolled round stock that I threaded on either end centered inside 1 1/2" conduit. The conduit was an afterthought as the round bar was just a bit too bouncy and needed some reinforcement. The cross bar on the top is another piece of aluminum flat bar. All of the rod holders I bent from 1/4" cold rolled and welded on top of a 3/8" bolt.

100_0003_2-1.jpg

Thank you.

The one on the left does have to be removed to raise or lower the trolling motor in it's current position. I could remedy that by loosening the wing nuts on the side and sliding both brackets back but I want the rods as far out in front as I can get them.

I don't trailer or store the boat with them on so screwing the left one in as soon as I kick the trolling motor down has not been an issue (yet :lol: ).

DANG NICE WORK!!!!!! beautiful work Quack. Would you be interested in building a set for sale? If so how much $. One thought, it might be easier to use 1/2 all thread, instead of cold rolled, for others, not so handy in metal fabbing.

I wish that I had the time to build them to sell. I have about $45 total in materials in both of those (with some left over) and they sell for over $100 apiece if you go to buy them. :shock:

The allthread would definitely be easier but the c/r was cheaper (purchased at metal supplier / recycler).

I would have more in it but the brackets wound up not costing me anything to have bent. I don't have access to a brake so I had to have a fab shop do it for me. They wound up splitting the first piece so he didn't charge me to bend it. (Lucky for me, I bought plenty)

Quackrstackr said:
I finally remembered to snap a picture of these while I had the boat uncovered.

These are rock solid and I did not have to drill any holes in the boat.
100_0003_2.jpg

How are the bolts that the wing nuts are screwed onto connected to the gunwales?

My gunwales are the accessory track type that a lot of boats are using today. Only problem with that fantastic concept is that nobody makes any accessories for the things. #-o

1/4" carriage bolts with the head ground flat on two sides fits right into the slot. Then, you can turn the bolt 90* and it grips as it would normally. 5/16" would work but the spray lining in my boat makes them a bit too snug. 1/4" was perfect.

Latest posts