My new homemade PVC rod holders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungClayB

Reaction score
I have been looking for some good rod holders to mount on my boat, but I didnt really like any of the ones that I saw for sale in the stores. So I got some 4" PVC pipe and made some of my own. Once you get the hole pattern figured out, you can make batches of these pretty quick.

I got the idea from https://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702, but I made a few small changes...namely, I used a 1 3/4" bit for the bottom hole, but I used a 1 1/4" bit for the top hole to keep the rod a little more securely in place. I also rounded the edges out a little more on the bench sander.

rod_holder3.jpg

rod_holder4.jpg

rod_holder5.jpg

rod_holder1.jpg

rod_holder2.jpg

I have a bunch of those in storage.I made mine up to use a carriage bolt and nut to mount them in my oar locks and adjust the angle of the rod.I also had a mount so I could mount the rod holders to it and then clamp it across the gunnels.That was adjustable also,so I could fit different width boats.Everything is packed up in storage or I would post a bunch of pics.

Captain Ahab said:
Are you not afraid the rod will pull free?

I had that concern at first with my set ups.As long as kept my rods at a 30* angle or more everything was fine.Biggest fish i caught on that was a 12lbs catfishy.With YoungclayB's set up,I would be concerned that a big fish could pull the holders mounting screw out of the hull.If he's chasing small game, like panfish,he should have no issues.A catfish or other large fish could do some damage.

I need to get a picture of my buddy Rat's holder. He did the same thing but he has a bracket that mounts the top rail with 4 or 5 holders on it. It clamps done so it is adjustable to either side, front, back, another boat.... I will get a picture of it later. I think it is on my home computer

Wildman said:
I need to get a picture of my buddy Rat's holder. He did the same thing but he has a bracket that mounts the top rail with 4 or 5 holders on it. It clamps done so it is adjustable to either side, front, back, another boat.... I will get a picture of it later. I think it is on my home computer
i'd like to see that, i've been brainstorming for awhile on something like that. mobile so could go up front for crappie, sides for cats and rear for whites, and be able to stow it if i don't need it that day. lots of ideas but nothing i'm completely satisfied with. looking forward to those pics!

ben2go said:
Captain Ahab said:
Are you not afraid the rod will pull free?

I had that concern at first with my set ups.As long as kept my rods at a 30* angle or more everything was fine.Biggest fish i caught on that was a 12lbs catfishy.With YoungclayB's set up,I would be concerned that a big fish could pull the holders mounting screw out of the hull.If he's chasing small game, like panfish,he should have no issues.A catfish or other large fish could do some damage.

I think I'll probably put another screw in each holder to keep the holder from "rocking" on the gunnel when a fish is on...a second screw about an inch below the gunnel screw should do the trick.

thats an awsome idea i have been brainstorming trying to com up with something for my boat what size pvc did you use?

Here's a simple little rod holder for storing rods while underway made from thin-walled 1 1/4" PVC pipe, t-joints and elbows. Best of all you can make it for as many, or few rods as you like. None of the components are glued together, so I can take it apart and add to it at any time. I also drilled one small hole in the rear elbows to allow for water drainage. It is screwed into the aluminum rubrail using #8 stainless steel screws dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk. The tiller extension works great too, and is also made from the same 1 1/4" thin walled PVC with a couple of pipe clamps. I also made a PVC bilge pump using a thin piece of bamboo, a couple flaps of rubber and a round plastic "piston" cut out of an old dust pan. It's fully collapsible and pumps tons of water.

rodholderandtillerextension.jpg

bilgepump2-1.jpg

bilgepump1.jpg

bilgepump3-1.jpg

EDIT: I think I got the pics figured out....I think.

Neat idea. We call PVC piping "adult tinker toys".

I saw another idea on this forum using flush mounted rod holders built into the bench seat tops which I thought was a great idea and just finished installing four of them all at different angles.

Nice PVC holders. You might want to consider a bungee strap loop, than can be pulled up as you slip in the rod handle. The bungee loop is anchored in the bottom of the curved holder and will hold the rod's handle firmly down in the holder. But it wont interfere when you need to retrieve your rod.

Thanks for the idea, I got a hold of a large piece of pvc for free and made some for my boat.

Attachments

• IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5,722
Jim said:
Nice Job Dave! Your almost making me want to go get a boat just like yours for the back of my pick up...stop it! :lol:
[-X Don't do it!.... I have to say after having larger boats, 16ft, 18ft, & 21ft this is much easier and cheaper to operate!

Latest posts