1956 Johnson QD-17 Project NEW QUESTIONS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
I have gotten several requests for updates on the outboard I just purchaced so I thought I would start a project thread for it where I can update my progress. I have a trailer project thread and boat project thread, might as well have a motor project thread too, lol. This is a 1956 Johnson Sea Horse 10 HP, Mod. QD-17.
This thing is completely original and in amazing condition. My original plan was to buy an old motor so I could paint it to match the boat which I had planned to do in a camo pattern. I never dreamed I was gonna buy an old motor that looks like this so there is no way I'm painting this thing!! It looks so good it actually has me reconsidering my plan to camo the boat. Might look strange with a bright red outboard hanging off the back of it. I dunno. I'm open to suggestions in that department. What would look good?

So, heres what I'm starting with. It currently dosnt run but there isnt a single reason it shouldnt so I'll begin fixing her up in the next few days and I'll update my progress here.

56Johnson.jpg

57Johnson2.jpg

This is the current state of the ignition system. A guy on another forum that rebuilds these old things confirmed these are all original parts and says it was very common for the coils to be in that condition. I ordered lots of new parts that should be here before the weekend. New coils, condensors, points, plugs, plug wires, card rebuild kit with updated plastic float and a water pump rebuild kit. Hopefully that should be all I need to get her going. I did notice a wee bit of oil on the lower unit today so I may be ordering a lower unit seal kit and rebuilding that as well. Hopefully the next update will be a video of her running!!

Magneto2.jpg

Just an FYI for future reference you can also get all the parts for these threw Napa usually much cheaper than an outboard dealer. I did my 1958 last year and the coils on those motors usually are always junk. I would suggest to change the impeller and make sure when you change the impeller you replace the oring on the shaft or you'll get water in the lower unit. Also make sure you check over the orings/gaskets on the tank if there bad it will lose pressure and cause you a bunch of headache's.

Not to high jack your thread but here's my resto.

DSC01437-1.jpg

Your restore looks good!! I went to NAPA. They sell Sierra parts. The same Sierra parts were considerably cheaper on iboats even with the cost of shipping and would have taken the same amount of time to get here. I got a complete water pump rebuild kit coming nit just the impellpr. Its everything but the housing. I didnt get new o rings for the fuel connections. If they are bad I'm just gonna order a complete tank repair kit.

Yes Bob, it came with a tank thats in good shape as well. It pumps up and holds pressure. I need to replace the old lines on it. I saw these tanks selling on Ebay in worse condition for 150 to 200 bucks.

All my parts came today except the carb float. I got the ignition system rebuilt and got the water pump rebuilt. As soon as I locate a torque wrench so I can torque the flywhel nut, I'll try and get her started. I'm still gonna rebuild the carb though.

Heres the new ignition system. Looks much better than the old stuff!!

Magneto3.jpg

Awesome looking motor. Looks like you know your way around it too. Looking forward to seeing some action footage of this one.

Yeppers, got em set. I got it all back together. Rebuilt the water pump and changed the lower unit oil. Put some fresh gas and oil in the tank. I dont know when this thing was last running or even started for that matter. She fired right up on the third pull!! Runs beautifully at idle, just as smooth as can be. Higher rpm's are a little rough and it feels like I should have a lot more throttle. Gonna rebuild the carb this weekend and see what happens.

Heres a video of her running though...

https://s964.photobucket.com/albums/ae127/BassBlaster29/?action=view&current=M2U00016.mp4

I have some oil oozing out of this hole on the side. (see pic) Should it be coming from there and if not how do I correct it?

23.jpg

Brine said:
Awesome looking motor. Looks like you know your way around it too. Looking forward to seeing some action footage of this one.
Not really, just spent alot of time reading manuals and reading threads at iboats. I'm learning though. This one seems pretty straight forward to work on though.

Very nice fine.....I'm jealous!!!

Please use fuel to oil ratio of 24:1 Please Please don't let someone talk you into using something leaner. They will say with today's oil that are superior that you can go leaner.

Today's oils are superior, but use the original factory suggested ratio of 24:1. It will insure longevity of your motor and you can also use synthetic oil TWC-3 2cycle oil. It cuts down on smoke and it is biodegradable.

Congrats on such a fine motor!!!

Thanks!!

I do plan on running it at 24:1. I didnt realize how much oil that was untill I went to get some gas today. 6oz of oil per gallon sure adds up. I'm gonna have to buy this stuff by the gallon!!

If you need some specifics for that motor, I do have an original Johnson manual that covers all motors from the beginning in the 20's to 1968.

Original list price 321.00
bore 2 3/8
stroke 1 7/8
rpm's 4000
spark plugs j6-j
piston disp 16.60
weight 70 1/2 lbs

As listed in this manual

Thanks for that info Bob, I was searching for the weight and couldnt find it. I kept seeing "around 65 pounds" but wanted to know for sure. Thanks!!

Latest posts