Gas tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I am going to buy an evinrude 6hp 2 stroke. It dosen't come with a can or a hose. If I buy the correct hose with the right adapters would the hose work with my 1 gallon gas tank that I use to fill up my weedwacker? I just need something to use for the time being

You can goto Wally World and get a plastic tank for around $16 that holds 5 or 6 gallons. Get the fittings that fit you hose and your good to go. This way there's no chance that the can will tip over and spill.

a 3 gallon tank from wal mart or bass pro would be plenty for that motor. No need for a 5-6 gallon in my opinion. im pretty sure you wont be able to use the gas can youre talking about.

You can stick the end of the hose w/o a fitting in to a gas can and it will work.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You can stick the end of the hose w/o a fitting in to a gas can and it will work.
Thats what i had planned. But dosent there need to be prssure inide th tank to keep fuel in the hose?

basstender10.6 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Thats what i had planned. But dosent there need to be prssure inide th tank to keep fuel in the hose?
Nope, thats what the fuel pump does. Unless its an old 50's model that used the 2 line pressure tranks. In that case, the motor needs to be converted to a fuel pump or you need to purchase a pressure tank.

Pappy said:
What is your aversion to doing things right and purchasing a 3 or 6 gallon tank? Makes me wonder what else this poor engine will have to endure such as correct fuel oil ratios and so on.
I am going to buy a 3 gallon marine tank, but I want to be able to run some fresh gas (at the correct ratio) the day I buy the motor. This will be just for running in my driveway until I can run up to wall mart later in the week.

You will probably expend more effort, time and experience more problems trying to adapt your weed wacker gas can to accommodate your outboard.

Go to a Wal-Mart or Academy store and purchase a marine 3 gallon fuel tank, fuel adapter for Evinrude/Johnson (to screw onto the fuel tank) , and complete fuel hose set up for a Evinrude/Johnson with fuel connectors and both ends.

You need the fuel adapter because most of the tanks that are sold are universal tanks.

**Don't forget to open the vent screw on the gap cap to allow air enter the tank when running your motor. If not you will shortly have fuel starvation issues and your motor will run poorly.*** The fuel bulb is usually connected near the tank and there is an arrow point the direction of the fuel flow to the motor. Pump the bulb until it is somewhat firm, choke the motor, crank her up, push in the choke and off you go.

Oh, here is a link to some good reading for your motor. It will tell your how to basically maintain and repair your motor and a little more if need. It will give you your fuel to oil ratio as well.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm

Here is an online parts store and a electronic parts diagram for your motor as well.

https://www.marineengine.com

If your motor was made after 1965 then your fuel oil ratio will be 50:1. That would be 8 ounce of TWC-3 grade 2 cycle marine oil to 3 gallon of regular 87 octane gas. Put your oil in the tank and fill it with 1 gallon of gas and mix it up well and put the remainder of the 2 gallons and shake it up a little for a good even mix.

Happy motoring and good luck fishing.

cajuncook1 said:
You will probably expend more effort, time and experience more problems trying to adapt your weed wacker gas can to accommodate your outboard.

Go to a Wal-Mart or Academy store and purchase a marine 3 gallon fuel tank, fuel adapter for Evinrude/Johnson (to screw onto the fuel tank) , and complete fuel hose set up for a Evinrude/Johnson with fuel connectors and both ends.

You need the fuel adapter because most of the tanks that are sold are universal tanks.

**Don't forget to open the vent screw on the gap cap to allow air enter the tank when running your motor. If not you will shortly have fuel starvation issues and your motor will run poorly.*** The fuel bulb is usually connected near the tank and there is an arrow point the direction of the fuel flow to the motor. Pump the bulb until it is somewhat firm, choke the motor, crank her up, push in the choke and off you go.

Oh, here is a link to some good reading for your motor. It will tell your how to basically maintain and repair your motor and a little more if need. It will give you your fuel to oil ratio as well.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm

Here is an online parts store and a electronic parts diagram for your motor as well.

https://www.marineengine.com

If your motor was made after 1965 then your fuel oil ratio will be 50:1. That would be 8 ounce of TWC-3 grade 2 cycle marine oil to 3 gallon of regular 87 octane gas. Put your oil in the tank and fill it with 1 gallon of gas and mix it up well and put the remainder of the 2 gallons and shake it up a little for a good even mix.

Happy motoring and good luck fishing.
Thanks for the info. I already have seen the first url that you posted and it is a great article. I will just go to walmart and buy an atwood 3 gallon fuel tank and call it a day. The six gallon will take up too much room in my boat.

I'm not big on any plastic fuel tanks. Sometimes you can find the 6 gal metal ones on CL for $10-$15
Somehow it don't seem right . . . plastic tanks should stay on plastic boats, and metal tanks on tin boats. [-X

Attachments

• BOAT3.jpg
    BOAT3.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 1,060
PATRIOT2 said:
I'm not big on any plastic fuel tanks. Sometimes you can find the 6 gal metal ones on CL for $10-$15
Somehow it don't seem right . . . plastic tanks should stay on plastic boats, and metal tanks on tin boats. [-X
Well i have a plastic boat, so i think plastic would be the way to go for me.

Please be sure to run that motor in a barrel or large trash can filled with water. Make sure it is submerged at least half way up the exhaust housing. If you start that motor without it being in water, it will damage your impeller (water pump). Also, watch to make sure that motor is pumping water and cooling your motor. If not, shut down and try to find out why.

What year is your motor??

cajuncook1 said:
Please be sure to run that motor in a barrel or large trash can filled with water. Make sure it is submerged at least half way up the exhaust housing. If you start that motor without it being in water, it will damage your impeller (water pump). Also, watch to make sure that motor is pumping water and cooling your motor. If not, shut down and try to find out why.

What year is your motor??
I am going to look at it on sunday, the motor is a 1987.

We have a brand new suzuki 6hp on our zodiak as a beach boat on our 32 foot offshore rig and the dealership told us to get a 3 gallon tank. It has a 1.5l tank built in but the 3 gallon is what we usually run off of. I wouldnt go with 6 gallons. I run a 6 gallon on a 25 hp and its plenty!

Patriot I couldnt agree more with you about the tin tanks. I still run a 6 gallon metal tank on my merc. I wish I could find another one or two for my 40hp. Cant find many down here that are that good

Ive used both metal tanks and Plastic. I heard that the metal tanks have a tendency to rust and those particles can affect the motor over time. Just my 2cents =). I have a plastic boat now and use a plastic 6gal tank on a 4hp motor. Its too big of a tank, go with a 3gal if you can!

Latest posts