2005 25HP johnson prop nut torque ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1648grizz

Reaction score
Been searching around for the torque spec for the prop nut on my 2005 25HP Johnson 2 stroke.
some say 10lbs others say 55lbs .

Found online manual, no torque spec

prop nut.PNG

Capture prop nut.PNG

Attachments

• prop nut.PNG
    prop nut.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 839
Not sure of thread size. I bought the engine new in 05 , never took the prop off in 14 years.
When I did last week to install new prop nut was loose.

If you determine the thread size you can get a generic torque value that'll be close enough.

Google "torque value chart".

Huh, can you really torque it down that much? I mean you can't tighten it past where the cotter pin will fit through the castle nut. Now, I know you guys are going to explain what I'm missing. LOL

LOL ,I just didn't want to over torque it and mess something up.

LDUBS said:
Huh, can you really torque it down that much? I mean you can't tighten it past where the cotter pin will fit through the castle nut. Now, I know you guys are going to explain what I'm missing. LOL

I have never ever ever even heard of someone being concerned with torquing the prop nut.

I have always treated it like a wheel bearing.

Snug it up and back off till the nut lines up with the hole for the key.

My F25 service manual says torque to spec (25 ft lbs), then tighten further to align cotter pin.

8-3_8-4.jpeg

RaisedByWolves said:
LDUBS said:

Snug it up and back off till the nut lines up with the hole for the key.

And there you go. I didn't really have concerns. Thanks!