Tomahawk Nationals 2019

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
Lesa and I travelled up to Tomahawk Wisconsin at the end of July for the annual Tomahawk Super meet. Meet is a huge swap meet and show for antique outboards and boats.

Lesa picked up this nice completely original 1957 Johnson 3hp. The best example I have ever seen!

She also picked up a 1968 British Seagull Featherweight. A 1.25hp Seagull. We got that running in about a half hour and here she is running it in the Wisconsin River.

I picked up a nice 1920 Evinrude RowBoat Motor. This engine came complete with the optional tilt mechanism. Pretty rare.

She also found and purchased a pretty rare 1931 ELTO. This engine in particular was signed off by Ole Evinrude who was the founder and father of Evinrude Outboards. Engine is in great original condition. Will take some photos of it when I get it uncovered.

Also.....Here is a video of a different 1931 ELTO (Evinrude Light Twin Outboard). I brought this one up to Tomahawk to run. We piled 6 adults into a large high sided aluminum boat and did the infamous Ole Evinrude Ice Cream Run. We launched at Sarah Park and motored to downtown Tomahawk to the Dairy Queen which is on the water. This run is really for Row Boat Motors but since this engine is at least still a knucklebuster we ran it! Ran flawlessly.
In the video you will see a guy with an Evinrude cap on. That fellow is Dennis Evinrude! Over the years he has become a good friend. When in Engineering in OMC at the Stuart Test Center I knew and did a bit of work for Ralph Evinrude as well on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UA-AfXwdDA

I appreciate the vids and pics of the old engines. They look great. It is good there are folks devoted to saving and restoring them.

Those are beautiful examples of american manufacturing.
We used to make stuff that lasts, these engines are a testimony to that.

Nice trip, Pappy. Look like some terrific engines!

Did your spouse continue with the flight attendant job? Always seemed to me to be one of the most demanding (of patience and feet) employment.

That '56 looks like it is showroom ready. That is original? Darn. All of mine (well, the 4 of them) reflect the passage of time and travel, bumping around in someone's trunk.

you have some neat toys.

Best wishes.

Good to see you again!
No, Lesa had to resign..... Her Mom fell twice in 11 months back in Tennessee. Her first fall broke a hip on one side then a leg on the other. Her two sisters, although they are only about 45 minutes away, put the burden on Lesa. She stepped down from the airlines and stepped up to take care of her Mom. We have her full time now with us in Florida but she recently bought a house two doors down from us and will be moving in there shortly. She has the start of dementia and will need quite a bit of help.
Lesa badly needed the break and the Tomahawk trip!
Her '57 is totally original ! I have seen a ton of originals and this is one of the best I have ever seen. I had one that would have matched it (a 1958 Johnson 18hp) but sold it. Still kick myself in the butt for that one.

By the way -here are some photos of the other little ELTO I purchased while up there. This engine is totally original except for the spark plug wires and a good clean up. Still visible is the tag on the tank that denotes the engine was tested, signed off, and approved by Ole Evinrude!

kdgrills said:
Cool stuff.

We've been to several MOB meets at Webster Lake In.
One of the guys there has several Clarke Trollers, by far my favorite motor.

https://www.mlaoc.ca/uploads/1/0/5/9/10597650/the_clarke_troller.pdf

Would you happen to know Allan Nacke? He lives right on the Tippecanoe River down in Battleground, In.
Lesa and I went to his house on the Monday following Tomahawk and enjoyed their hospitality. What a great guy and amazing shop and outboard collection!

Pappy said:
Would you happen to know Allan Nacke? He lives right on the Tippecanoe River down in Battleground, In.
Lesa and I went to his house on the Monday following Tomahawk and enjoyed their hospitality. What a great guy and amazing shop and outboard collection!

No, I can't say I do. I'm not really a part of the
community, merely an interested observer. I
catch meets when I can. I enjoy seeing all the
innovative engineering and craftsmanship
that went into the old motors, especially in
today's computerized manufacturing
environment.

I can imagine the gentleman has an impressive
machine shop. Given the quality of some of the
restorations I see, that would be a necessity. I'm
a machinist (moldmaker) by trade.

I missed Tomahawk by a week, we were up