Lifting an outboard on water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaot

Reaction score
Hi. Have a 14 foot Alumacraft with a 20 hp engine. I find it super difficult to lift the engine in emergencies when on the boat. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me raise the engine. Am only 125 lbs so it is rather difficult. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have had several back surgeries, I went the power trim and tilt route. Only way for me.

Understood. Thanks for the reply. Still hoping for options before I need to upgrade! :)

I assume you are talking about tilting it.

Not sure how handy you are but a long lever arm will reduce effort. You could make a wood arm that hooks onto the engine to get more leverage.

It sounds like you need more leverage . Maybe something like this
654d676c3bf97bb48953c1b541823cb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

My 20 hp, a Tohatsu, has a handle on the front of it to carry it, kind of a loop. When I tilt it from side the boat, I stand and face the motor and put my right hand on the handle on the motors front, my left hand on the rear of the cowling. I put my weight on the right hand, pushing down on the front, while lifting the rear with the left. The motor pops right up. It raises much easier this way than if I just try to tilt it from the rear of the cowling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts