Will 75 Merc 9.8 parts fit a 82 Merc 9.8?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfoss82

Reaction score
I have a 1975 Merc 9.8 and a 1982 Merc 9.8. Both of them look identical with the shrouds off. I’m wondering if anyone know if the parts are interchangeable? I’m hoping to use parts from the 75 to make the 82 a runner. I think the stator is bad on the 82. I was just going to swap everything over to the 82. Just wondering if anyone had experience in doing so?

Jfoss82 said:
I have a 1975 Merc 9.8 and a 1982 Merc 9.8. Both of them look identical with the shrouds off. I’m wondering if anyone know if the parts are interchangeable? I’m hoping to use parts from the 75 to make the 82 a runner. I think the stator is bad on the 82. I was just going to swap everything over to the 82. Just wondering if anyone had experience in doing so?

I'd say they are mostly the same aside from the ignition. The 75 may have points, the 82 will be electronic. I would look at the diagrams and compare the stator and ignition mounts, if the part numbers are the same between the two, you should be good to go.

Latest posts