Do I want a jet lower???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goaround

Reaction score
Long story... I'll make it short.

Never owned my own boat before, did alot of research and ended up purchasing what I thought was the optimal layout/size/HP for what I was planning on doing. I live just off the Arkansas river and fish in streams/rivers that feed the river. I was at first wanting a flat jon but getting caught out when they open the dams or in the wind could end poorly on the river. Also I will run long~ish distances from the ramp by my house so I wanted something with a bit of speed so I wouldn't waste half my time just getting there (Have a family so fishing time is limited).

So I purchased a Xpress X17. LOVE the layout, rides great, almost 50 mph on most days. However I have come to realize that with all the submerged lumber/stumps around here I end up taking FOREVER on the trolling motor running upstream dodging stuff once off the river. I have already bumped into a few things and spent some cash fixing broken bits...

If I put a jet lower on my Etec 130 and set it up correctly would I be able to pass over with little drama the laydowns and stumps below the surface, or will this pad hull boat still draft to deep? I could take off my jackplate and raise the transom? Maybe have someone weld in a tunnel???

I'm not looking to make gopro videos of me jumping things, just want to get home to my family safely without tearing my equipment up. All while not staying out for 6 hours just to get there and back...

Or should I just sell the thing next spring and buy a different boat???

Thanks

I would certainly talk to other guys out on the water and see what they are doing. It usually takes three boats to get what you need / want. Jets won't go everywhere but they will go most places prop boats can't.

The jet will most likely be slower and use more gas getting there. But it may result in less damage and more peace of mind. I personally don't run that far on the river, maybe 20 minutes upstream and then float back down 2-3 hours. But I don't think I would want to run for 1-2 hours with a 2 sroke jet.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I've talked with some locals and it's almost funny... The local old timers are out in flat tins and don't venture out onto the river. They point and call the guys in the glass boats "idiots" and "no way I'd go though there like that". You talk to the guys in the glass boats and it's pretty much "I've never hit anything there before" or "insurance took care of it". When asked about going up stream off the river the glass response is "I don't go any farther than xyz"... Past xyz is where you find the old timers in the tins who are catching the fish. That's where I want to be!

It's really hard to read the streams when it's glass but a stump may only be inches below the surface. Is there any jet that can accomplish what I'm asking? I've looked at several jet models on the web. Blazers, Legend, River Pro, Sea Ark... Really like the River Pro but man it's shiney!

I would go with an inboard jet if I wasn't going to leave the boat in the water for 6 - 8 months (and I could afford it and justify the cost).

I am not familiar with the X17, but I did have a 18' Xpress H56 with a 225 ProMax outboard jet. The pad was too deep and narrow to allow the craft to run super skinny unless I was near wide open throttle.

JL8Jeff said:
I would go with an inboard jet if I wasn't going to leave the boat in the water for 6 - 8 months (and I could afford it and justify the cost).

Yea would be nice not sure I can justify the cost... I trailer my boat since I live so close to several ramps. I really like the look of the Blazer SS boats, but info is rather lacking on the web. At least I can't find much...

71Fish said:
I am not familiar with the X17, but I did have a 18' Xpress H56 with a 225 ProMax outboard jet. The pad was too deep and narrow to allow the craft to run super skinny unless I was near wide open throttle.

Very close hull wise, the layout is a bit different. That answers that, thanks for the reply!

What are you wanting to know about the Blazer SS? There's a few guys me included that run them on here. Been pretty happy with mine so far.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
What are you wanting to know about the Blazer SS? There's a few guys me included that run them on here. Been pretty happy with mine so far.

I actually talked with a dealer. I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm going to not do anything until spring. Give me plenty of time to sleep on things.

So I've about decided to buy a different boat next spring. This boat just drafts to much for my liking. It's a great boat though - if it was what I wanted...

With the outboard trimmed out of the water it still drafts 18" - I'm going to go with a real shallow V or flat.
Also have decided to go outboard rather than inboard.

Would like to have one of these 250+ hp outboards on a 18' boat like the Missouri guys have however here in the natural state we have a law that prevents me from going over the coast guard rating...

At the moment it's this order in my mind - Alweld, Sea Ark, Xpress, or G3. I'm leaning towards the side console boats more than the CC's. I really like a big deck when I'm fishing. That pretty much narrows it down to a Alweld it seems... But like I mentioned before I'm not going to make any decisions for a bit.

Anyways those are my thoughts... Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

I can only comment on the sea ark, I have the rxjt 170. Just got it a week ago but so far ive been happy with it on the river. Has a 75 etec which is the biggest I could get on it. Loaded down with two batteries, all my fishing gear and 21 gallons of fuel it does 30-35 mph which is plenty fast for the waters I fish. Im sure you will be happy with any of them when it comes to skinny water but dont expect it to do 50 like your current rig.

If you like the Alweld overall, then get it. If you like any of the other boats, a big deck can probably be put on any one of them. Plenty of guys on here have done it and there's plenty of info. posted on how they did it.
Just a thought.

jhunter1 said:
I can only comment on the sea ark, I have the rxjt 170. Just got it a week ago but so far ive been happy with it on the river. Has a 75 etec which is the biggest I could get on it. Loaded down with two batteries, all my fishing gear and 21 gallons of fuel it does 30-35 mph which is plenty fast for the waters I fish. Im sure you will be happy with any of them when it comes to skinny water but dont expect it to do 50 like your current rig.

Thanks! That's one of the biggest beefs I have with Sea Ark. They are so conservative on their HP ratings! If it wasn't for that I really like what I've seen of them.

overboard said:
If you like the Alweld overall, then get it. If you like any of the other boats, a big deck can probably be put on any one of them. Plenty of guys on here have done it and there's plenty of info. posted on how they did it.
Just a thought.

Yea I know, I really do like the layouts and almost flats boat like deck on the Alwelds.

As far as hp limits go, mine has none. I ordered it as a Commercial rated hull from Alweld in 2002, so anything I put on it is legal. Only downside is it has no flotation in it at all. It is an 1860 with a 250 Pro XS. With 24 gallons of fuel, 3 batteries, trolling motor and whatever I load in it, it drafts between 8-10 inches. On plane it will run in 2 inches and pushes it to 50.

I think Alwelds' 1856 and 1860 hulls are rated at 150/105 which should run great for your needs and still be legal. It should push it about 40, maybe a little more. If you go with a jet, get the max rated hp. You can order an Alweld or Blazer custom built to your specs. They build the hull to your specs and your dealer finishes it out with rigging the motor, carpet, seats, etc. You can also order the hull and finish it out yourself. Each dealer has their own unique build style, so shop around till you find one you like and are comfortable with.

Another one you might be interested in would be a Legend SS, check out Seth's boat on here, https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=34679#p355181, it is an 1860 semi-v with a 150 e-tec.

If you have any questions ask away.

Go with what you really want, new boats are a lot of money. My sea ark has a big front deck cause the front fuel tank extends a good anount plus It has a descent sized rear deck. Perfect layout for how I fish and 30-35 mph is plenty fast when your dodging rocks. If like the alweld then go for it. Go with the biggest motor you can cause the jets are a lot slower.

jhunter1 said:
Go with what you really want, new boats are a lot of money. My sea ark has a big front deck cause the front fuel tank extends a good anount plus It has a descent sized rear deck. Perfect layout for how I fish and 30-35 mph is plenty fast when your dodging rocks. If like the alweld then go for it. Go with the biggest motor you can cause the jets are a lot slower.

Plan on the largest motor for sure. I don't have to dodge rocks so much as stumps/lay downs. Went out today and for some reason the corp's had the water level about 4' down. Lots'o'fun to be had... right onto a sandbar... After that fished for a few hours and never found any fish...

dhoganjr said:
As far as hp limits go, mine has none. I ordered it as a Commercial rated hull from Alweld in 2002, so anything I put on it is legal. Only downside is it has no flotation in it at all. It is an 1860 with a 250 Pro XS. With 24 gallons of fuel, 3 batteries, trolling motor and whatever I load in it, it drafts between 8-10 inches. On plane it will run in 2 inches and pushes it to 50.

I think Alwelds' 1856 and 1860 hulls are rated at 150/105 which should run great for your needs and still be legal. It should push it about 40, maybe a little more. If you go with a jet, get the max rated hp. You can order an Alweld or Blazer custom built to your specs. They build the hull to your specs and your dealer finishes it out with rigging the motor, carpet, seats, etc. You can also order the hull and finish it out yourself. Each dealer has their own unique build style, so shop around till you find one you like and are comfortable with.

Another one you might be interested in would be a Legend SS, check out Seth's boat on here, https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=34679#p355181, it is an 1860 semi-v with a 150 e-tec.

If you have any questions ask away.

The 1856 Alweld is high on my list for sure. I REALLY want flotation foam - but I wouldn't mind commercial rating. That Legend is very nice.

My friend who fished with me today mentioned that I could use a boat that ran shallower LOL. But he says the forward CC is what he would go with.

I have had my Alweld since the fall of 2002 and I am very happy with the way it has held up, you can't go wrong with one. Other manufacturers are great also, but I have little experience with them so I'll let others comment on them.

The main thing is to figure out where you plan on fishing or running the most, if you will be mostly in the shallow rivers or will spend a lot of time in lakes or open water. It sounds like you are wanting to spend most of your time up river as shallow as you can get.

A flat bottom will run shallower than a semi-v, but will slide more in the turns, which takes some getting use to. We are talking maybe an inch or two depending on the hull, which is not a lot till it means skimming over that rock or stump just under the surface or nailing it. I prefer a flat bottom as I run a lot of clear shallow gravel bottom streams and rivers. A flat bottom will ride rougher in chop and waves, so open water can be challenging but manageable. I run a whale tail which helps, I can bump the trim down a bit which let's the tail drag pulling the bow down to cut through the waves. It is still a little rough but I can easily maintain about 30 mph even in heavy chop and a lot of traffic.

As far as CC or SC, mostly a matter of preference. A CC usually puts you farther forward so you can read the river and get a better view. I prefer the SC, works better for my layout and what I use it for, and as mentioned bigger decks.

As you can see even being able to run shallow can put you on a gravel bar.

Attachments

• 2013-12-04_15-30-16_74.jpg
    2013-12-04_15-30-16_74.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,305
Yea my buddy's point about the forward CC is that I have poor eyesight - I think he was insinuating I need all the help I can get! :shock: I reminded him that he's not much help either as he only has one eye left! :lol:
I'm just so used to "bass boat" layouts I'm afraid I'd regret not having the large deck.

Well it's boat show season and I've seen hitting up everyone who will listen for what they think. I've had quite a few mention they would get a surface drive boat rather than a jet for my area. Their point is there is ALOT of sand and it will chew the impeller up faster than the prop on a surface drive. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a sea ark but I just can't decide... I've never used a surface drive, just can't get it through my head that banging and slamming around stumps and laydowns is better than a jet going over them...