My build from then 'til now - Motor swap completed!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
These are some pics of my build over that last 2.5 years. I am doing a lot of different stuff to it in the next couple weeks so I'll of course post more pictures.

Attachments

• Emmons large oak 006.jpg
    Emmons large oak 006.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 9,937
  • Emmons large oak 005.jpg
    Emmons large oak 005.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 9,937
More pictures.

Attachments

• Emmons large oak 009.jpg
    Emmons large oak 009.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 9,904
  • Emmons large oak 010.jpg
    Emmons large oak 010.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 9,904
  • Emmons large oak 018.jpg
    Emmons large oak 018.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 9,904
More pics

Attachments

• Emmons large oak 015.jpg
    Emmons large oak 015.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 9,904
  • Emmons large oak 019.jpg
    Emmons large oak 019.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 9,904
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 9,904
Motor Pictures. I bought this motor on a 16' Basscat. The boat was the biggest piece of crap you have ever seen ut all I wanted was the motor anyway. The motor is a 1974 150 Mercury in line 6. It had a pretty fresh rebuild on it when I got it. Runs great now but there were some hiccups along the way. I'll explain later.

Attachments

• motor after before jet pump 2.jpg
    motor after before jet pump 2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 9,904
  • motor after before pump 1.jpg
    motor after before pump 1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 9,904
  • outboard motor before.jpg
    outboard motor before.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 9,904
Alright there is a quick over view of my build. It came together pretty quick but I have been changing and tweaking all the time. All in all it was fun. This is the second build I have done. The first one was a 1436 with a 650 Sea Doo motor in it and I can post pictures of that if people would like. That boat was just too small so I built this one.

When I got the jet pump for this boat I got it sent to me refurbished from a company out of California. I am not going to post the name of the company because I would like to kick the owners in the face but if you would like to know, PM me and I'll point you in their direction. I paid about $1000 for the pump, I can't remember exactly. It was supposed to come with a brand new paint job on it, which it did not but they did include some paint in the box for me to do it myself. For the first couple short runs the pump ran perfect. After gaining some confidence I decided to take a few of my buddies out on the Missouri river. Needless to say the motor crapped out on me and we had to get towed back to the dock, up river about 3 miles. It cost me $50 and a case of beer. I started to rip in to the motor a little bit to see what was wrong. Long story short - the drive shaft of the pump had an existing crack in it. There are 3 small stainless bolts that hold the main bearing on to the pump housing. When these guys assembled the pump they did not tighten these bolts or add lock tight and the bolts backed out and fell in to the impeller. The impeller broke the bolts up and they ran through and ate the crap out of the impeller, sleeve and cracked the drive shaft which as far as I know high revved the motor which caused the old dry rotted timing belt to break.

Sounds crazy right? If you have another explanation for all of these things happening all at once I would love to hear your thought. The damage was: broken off bolts that hold the main bearing to the pump housing, broken drive shaft, broken timing belt, ruined impeller and sleeve. Seriously if you have an idea of what you think happened I'd like to know.

SO.....I called the company that I bought the pump from and they basically told me that I was up **** creek and that they have never heard of that ever happening and they have done thousands of pumps yada yada yada. I sent the broken pump back to them at my expense. They then looked over everything and decided that the only thing they were responsible for was the crack in the drive shaft. They supplied me with a new drive shaft and after lots of very kind word exchanged they gave me a new impeller and sleeve and sent the package back to me. I got the pump in the mail and it was completely disassembled with directions on how to put it together. I almost lost my mind as it had been dragging on for a couple months and I was supposed to get this pump assembled. I looked at it as a blessing in disguise because I now know EVERY SINGLE PART OF MY JET PUMP AND EXACTLY HOW IT IS PUT TOGETHER. I could drop my pump, disassemble it and have it reassembled in under an hour probably. Pretty neat little invention.

After all this, the motor and pump has worked very well and that has been the only time I have ever been stranded by it except for when I thought I had more gas than I did. =D>

Any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them or help any one of you guys or girls out. Thanks for looking!!

Great looking boat conversion.

I enjoyed reading your pump story. Just shows what can happen when a small thing ( Locktite) is left off of a big job. Your knowledge of the pump will help for many years, though.

Only thing that I did notice was what appeared to be treated lumber used for bracing under the deck. I never knew that treated lumber was an issue on aluminum boats until I started reading this group a month or so ago. regards, rich

I know how it is to redo a boat and I found out what BOAT stands for (BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND). I bought a boat from the neighbor last fall thinking it was done. Since then I have put on a NEW E-TEC, changed the seats around,added fishfinders front and back, larger tank,trolling motor,moved battery to the front, added fuse blocks front and rear,now my neighbor is going to carpet it for me when the weather warms up a little, putting in rod holders on the side this week,fixed the mount up front to mount a GOLIGHT remote spotlight. It is a never ending job just to keep up with getting the boat going. But, enjoying each minute of it.

Those wraps look very, very nice. Anxious to see it in person if you come down to Doniphan. How are they to keep clean. Is there very much maintance to them.

The wraps are very easy to keep clean. I clean mine just like a normal car or if it is not too dirty I just spray some glass cleaner on it and wipe it off. Very low maintanence.

So I took a look at brine's build and I got jealous. I ripped my front deck out tonight, ordered 90' of 1" box tubing with 1/16 walls and 60' of 1" aluminum angle (the kind with the 45 degree inside corner not the round inside corner). Got a price of around $130 for all the aluminum which I thought was a pretty good deal or at least fair. The next purchase will be the foam insulation and the aluminum for the floors and the decks. Brine used a product called ACM. In the sign industry we use a similar product called Alumalite and I can get it for a pretty good price.

Quick question for you guys, should I use carpet to cover all the floors and decks or use something else? I was leaning towards carpet but I am open for ideas.

I am planning on removing my motor on Friday and flipping the boat over to patch all the leaky rivets. I noticed that a lot of you guys use a paint on Steelflex product. I am using a product called Durafix. I will post a thread on that later in the week to explain what it is and how it works for me. I have messed around with it and I think it is going to work great. It will be a lot of work but hopefully this darn boat will stop leaking.

Finally I would like you all to know that my fiance' wants to know who in the heck this "brine" person is. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: I basically threw you under the bus brine and showed my fiance' your boat build and she does not think very highly of the fact that I am doing that to my boat because she feels that it was just fine the way it was. I told her the "tinboat" guys told me to do it. She laughed and all is well but I figured I'd share that with ya. Whatever keeps me in her good graces I guess.

Attached is a pic of what the boat looks like tonight. I have to rip the floor out and we are good to go.

www.vinylimagesinc.com
www.tailgatetakeover.com

We are in the process of redoing the site as we speak so please bear with me here.

Latest posts