What good is a spare if you don't have a jack to change it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a former nascar pit crew member I recommend always having a Jackman, Tire carrier and Tire changer in the tow vehicle at all times. They will have your flat tire changed in about 5 seconds.

Good question. I just assumed my truck jack will work on the trailer. I guess one day this week I'll have to verify. I do carry a lug wrench for the trailer in my trailer/boat travel kit. The kit also holds spare bearings, hub, propeller, shear pins, battery charger, extension cord, extra trailer wiring kit, 2 cycle oil, oil measureing tool, paper rags, Mino-Mizer (2), bearing grease and grease gun, and electric fillet knife and cutting board. All fits into a plastic tote 20"x12"X12". The tote goes in the back of my truck every time I hook the trailer up.

A year and a half ago I'd say with a jon boat just lift up the trailer and scoot a block under it.

Well 4 bulged discs later id go with the simple method. They make trailer lifts that you just set on the frame and pull forward about a foot and voila you've lifted up high enough to replace the tire

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342668190.475801.jpg

i had to change the tire on my trailer over this past weekend. I launched and parked, remove lugs, lift trailer, place flat under axle, and take a break. Grab spare, lift trailer, line up studs, and spin one lug on.

i have a 3500lb galv trailer.

I keep a bottle jack and sockets/breaker bar in the boat aft locker. I usually tow my boat but I keep the jack in the boat for the times when someone else is towing.

The jack that I use on my truck will also work for my trailer. I do carry a differen't lug wrench for the trailer because it is a differen't size than the truck's lugs. Basicly if you got a spare but don't have the tools to change out the flat/blown out tire then your out of luck. Hopefully you can call somebody for help of a passerby will help you but theres always the chance you could be in the middle of no where with no cell signal an very little traffic.

I have spare tires on both my boat trailers, fortunately I have never had to change one (knock on wood) But after reading this, I think I will investigate and see if the folding 4-way wrench will even fit my lug nuts, and also see if the jack the factory supplied with my vehicle will be sufficient for lifting the axle high enough on my trailers to change a tire.

Another thing I gotta do with the spare tire on my jet boat trailer, is change from lug nuts, to the handle-type keepers for my tire carrier, as the studs of the carrier bracket are so long, there is no way a lug wrench would ever fit them if I needed to try to remove one that was stubborn from dirt or a little corrosion (I keep them oiled, but still, murphy's law)

I had a blowout last year and found my jack from the new truck would not go low enough to work. I had a couple of short 2x4s pieces that I stacked up in front of the flat and pulled the wheel up on them which enabled the jack to slide under the axle. With the good tire on I had the clearance to lower the trailer and still get the jack out.
I did buy one of those half moon shaped gizmos that you drive forward with and used it to change the weels and it worked pretty good.