Winch strap...over or under?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348116#p348116 said:
waterman » Yesterday, 20:44[/url]"]This thread has far outlived it's usefulness.
Oh I disagree. It still has some entertainment value. #-o :lol:

bobberboy said:
Isn't the important thing that the strap go under the bow stop so that if rear-ended or in an emergency stop the bow eye will be caught under the stop preventing the boat from being launched over it and forward? Lots of people don't use tie-downs but throw a strap over the back of the boat to the trailer frame. Seems like on impact it could slide forward making the bow stop especially important to keep the boat from coming through the back window.

[URL=https://s876.photobucket.com/u...com/albums/ab322/krame023/winchpost.jpg[/img][/url]

This is how and what I have been taught. Every brand new boat off the showroom floor has it done this way.
Now you may have one that has had it another way, but that doesn't exactly mean it is correct.

Now I may be wrong about this, but I don't think it's mandatory to read any posts you don't want to or find worthy of your time. Ol Sarge asked a legitimate question. If it was turned into a joke it's not because the question wasn't valid. The people on this forum have a widely varying range of experience. Some are learners and some are old timers that know everything. If you don't think it's worth your time, let it go. Ridiculing someone with less experience than you only serves to make that person not want to participate. I thought the point of the forum was to share what you know with others. We all learn by asking questions and none of has to read them - or respond - if we don't want to.

bobberboy said:
Now I may be wrong about this, but I don't think it's mandatory to read any posts you don't want to or find worthy of your time. Ol Sarge asked a legitimate question. If it was turned into a joke it's not because the question wasn't valid. The people on this forum have a widely varying range of experience. Some are learners and some are old timers that know everything. If you don't think it's worth your time, let it go. Ridiculing someone with less experience than you only serves to make that person not want to participate. I thought the point of the forum was to share what you know with others. We all learn by asking questions and none of has to read them - or respond - if we don't want to.

If you're referring to my post I don't see how I ridiculed anyone.
I'm going to assume you're referring to previous posts.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348194#p348194 said:
huntinfool » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 pm[/url]"]
bobberboy said:
Isn't the important thing that the strap go under the bow stop so that if rear-ended or in an emergency stop the bow eye will be caught under the stop preventing the boat from being launched over it and forward? Lots of people don't use tie-downs but throw a strap over the back of the boat to the trailer frame. Seems like on impact it could slide forward making the bow stop especially important to keep the boat from coming through the back window.

[URL=https://s876.photobucket.com/u...com/albums/ab322/krame023/winchpost.jpg[/img][/url]

This is how and what I have been taught. Every brand new boat off the showroom floor has it done this way.
Now you may have one that has had it another way, but that doesn't exactly mean it is correct.
I agree the strap should go under the bow stop. The winch as pictured I would still recommend the strap come from the bottom of the winch so it will have a straighter pull.

I would personally go strap over and under the bow stop like in the picture for simple fact it seems like being over the roller the boat stands the chance of going side to side of the roller. Under the roller the strap wouldn't be able to move due to the winch mount. My trailer from diamond city was set up this way. I don't believe I could have my strap under and under the bow stop due to the strap rubbing the winch mount.

When you slam on the brakes because some a**hole cuts you off and your bow eye hook is above your bow trailer roller what is there to stop the boat from moving forward?

Your bow eye hook should be below your bow trailer roller. Learned from experience...

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,427
Thanks for all the replies. This was a real concern for me and appreciate the time taken to give me your thoughts. I am going to finally get the chance to change the strap on the winch tomorrow so I will look and see which way is best for my situation.

Pretty good advice about adding a safety chain. Heck, on two occasions that I can remember, I stopped and bought a chain on the way home after buying a used boat.

Counting on the winch pawl (about the size of your pinky) to hold a 2000 lb. boat is more risk than I want to take.

Once. I forgot to "click" the winch stop. The chain held the boat as it slipped backwards. Richg99

I've rebuilt several trailers and have always had the strap above the roller and as mentioned, I too have always placed a safety chain.

But imo either way is fine...like placing a toilet paper in the holder...over or under? :LOL2:

dlmallory said:
When you slam on the brakes because some a**hole cuts you off and your bow eye hook is above your bow trailer roller what is there to stop the boat from moving forward?

Your bow eye hook should be below your bow trailer roller. Learned from experience...
As an example.
This just happened in Houston yesterday. Guy slams on his brakes. Boat keeps moving.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413889106421.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413889106421.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 966
dlmallory said:

Perhaps the straps I have holding the back of the boat to the trailer?

SumDumGuy said:
dlmallory said:

Those straps are to stop to boat from moving in the y-axis (bouncing), not the x-axis. Most of these straps work under tension using a cam like buckle (some are ratchet, but most all are the cam buckle) that will fail if the tension is lost. If the bow of the boat raises, the rear lowers and tension is lost and the strap buckles will fail. Seen this happen to boats going down the highway that were not winched securely to the bow stop.

The proper way is to have the winch cable/strap under the bow stop. This applies downward force to the bow to keep it down and in contact with the bow stop. There is no argument to have it over the stop. Safety chain should always be applied, but they are a fail safe and not the primary method of securing the boat to the trailer.

SumDumGuy said:
dlmallory said:

Yep, I found out the hard way those two big straps I use on the back aren't going to stop the boat from going forward. Trust me, you want your strap under the bow roller.

A safety chain is far safer in an accident than a nylon strap - all it takes is a piece of debris to nick the strap somewhere along the line and all of a sudden the break strength diminishes drastically.

These are the back straps (sorry for the quality, it is dark out).
I can see how they would allow at least some forward movement (if they stayed attached, considerably more if they did not).

strap.jpg

And this is the front winch. The strap does go over because the winch is new and that is how it was in the box. Are you saying I would be better served to fully extend the strap and bring it in so it wraps from under the roller?

front_strap.jpg

I would be more concern of which way you feel comfortable cranking the winch. I crank the lever clockwise for better leverage so the strap feeds under. Like suggested, use a safety chain too.