Water in bearings

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KMixson said:
I have never had to "glue" the sleeves in place. They seem to stretch a little while installing them on the spindle creating a watertight seal.

I'm just a little concerned the sleeve might be slightly big for my spindle. Hopefully not though, and it'll be a nice snug fit.

Speedi-Sleeve is going back. Too big. It slides right onto my spindle with ease. The next size down would be too small. Funny thing is I got my new bearings and double lip grease seal in today and the new seal fits well. I can see the spring expand when I put it on the spindle. It measures about 1.215-1.220 I.D. My spindle is from 1.224-1.230. So I'm thinking the extra seal I test fitted with the other day is too big. I'm going to put everything back together and use this new seal and see what happens. Hoping that cleaning up my spindle and a new seal will fix my issues. Maybe the spindle condition was tearing up my seals? If it doesn't work, it won't take long to find out. I also typically fish behind my house since I have river access in my sub division. So I won't be traveling very far with the boat on the trailer until hunting season. By then I'll definitely know if I need a new spindle or axle. Hopefully not though!! [-o<

Well, at least you know to keep an eye on it in case it slings grease onto wheel.
Means you won't be "that guy" getting waved at on the road by passersby when your hub is smokin.. #-o
Worse case if kept greased would be premature wear on the seal lip, but it still will be better than it was.
Never tried it due to suspicion of not getting into rear bearing, but have seen dust caps with a grease zerk installed to keep grease supplied to front/ outside bearing at least. Not on the level as other types like bearing buddies but a annual teardown is better in my opinion than faith no water got in during use and all is greased equally.

Seems to be OK. Got everything installed and back together Friday evening and fished for a few hours. When I put my boat in at the boat ramp behind my house, almost all of both wheels are in the water. I popped the cap off Saturday and everything looked good. Just have to keep an eye on it.

As far as bearing buddies go, I think the advantage to them keeping water out is they keep a bit of pressure on the grease within the hub. They are not very expensive and the next time I change out bearings or have any issues I may give them a try.

Something to consider. In the early nineties I had an old galvanized Murray trailer ('83) with a buggered up seal surface on one axle spindle. A childhood friend that is a sales rep for Kaman Industries told me to try installing the seal backwards where it would ride on a pristine portion of the spindle seal surface. I ran it like this for many years without an issue. Downside; It's a bit of a trick to mount the hub with the seal reversed and the old bearing buddies we used back then would like a couple of additional squirts of grease on that side too. Upside; you will never have to worry about the inside of of the wheel or inside fender rusting out because of the slung grease. :shock:

Thanks. Not a bad idea.

Cleaning up the spindle and getting it as smooth as possible seemed to fix my issue. I've had my boat out 5 or 6 times since then. Popped the cap off over the weekend and dry as a bone.

Latest posts