SAFETY

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KICKEDBACK

Reaction score
Wondering if crossing the safety chains is a fact or myth. The length would have to be considered including your turning radius. Also, does a skid strap on the bottom of the tongue work at all or would it add to the problem if the coupler became disconnected and would it be needed if the chains are working? I have heard many stories on this and I'm always looking at other trailers and see many with and with out these set ups. I just finished installing a 12' piece on my tilt trailer giving me 2 more ft. so the questions are back in my head again. :?

It was explained to me during my boater safety class when towing your boat to cross the chains. This will allow the trailer to catch in the crossed chains if it ever jumped off of the hitch ball and allow you to pull over to the side of the road safely.

i have had a coupler fail on me...it popped off the ball when i hit a bump going up a bridge...a big bridge, the mississippi river bridge(sunshine bridge).... i stopped but couldnt pull the boat uphill to hitch it back...it was sitting very nicely cradled on the crossed safety chains..i had to go on up the bridge, and go very easy down the other side until i got to flat ground...i was 18 when that happened!!

so im a firm believer in safety chains...crossed... and a bolt or lock through the coupler latch so it cant pop open...

the skid strap...if youre talking about what im thinking of...i think its best purpose is if the trailer ever falls to the ground, thers rooms to get your hands underneath the coupler to pick it back up...

Latest posts