Help mounting transducer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 5200 fast cure and the plastic is still stuck to the boat. I have even accidentally run the back end up on the sand and the xducer/mount is still in place. In other words it is stuck fairly well.

I went to the Depot and got some JB Weld. I masked off the area on the boat, sanded both surfaces lightly, then wiped them down with alcohol. I buttered up the block and put it on. I taped it down tight for some clamping strength. It has only been a little while and it is already stuck on good. I put some on a scrap piece to monitor the curing. It has only been a little while and it is already stuck pretty good. I can't scrape it off the test plastic.

Im not sure if this is ever going to come off. That can be a double edged sword as was mentioned previous in this topic. Well, I will see how it holds up if I can get some good weather this weekend.

5200 applications states that it isn't for use on plastics so I was afraid to try it. Plenty of posts I read here say it works. From what you said about your application it holds up real good. Are you using cutting board/aluminum joint?

From the King Starboard website:

King StarBoard®, King StarBoard® ST, King ColorCore®, King ColorBoard® and King CuttingBoard® can not be glued using standard adhesives. Products like 3M’s 5200 work well as a water sealing caulk but will not adhere King StarBoard® to itself or other materials in a permanent bond. It is preferable to mechanically fasten or weld King StarBoard®, but when an adhesive is necessary you can use a product called Lord 7542-AB or 3M’s Scotch-Weld DP-8005.

McMaster has the 3M DP-8005, it's item numbers: Black - 7467A33, Off White - 7467A32, and requires a 7467A49 dispenser, so you'd be into almost $50 for it.

I've never used either of those two recommended products, just passing along the info....

Yeah, the idea of those PVC pieces is so you don't drill multiple holes in your boat mounting all sorts of things. But if it were my boat I would fasten it with screws/bolts right through the hull. Seal them with aquarium sealant and nothing to worry about.

That's good that the JB Weld is holding. Doesn't really matter what is used as long as it works.

I used the 5200 on a piece of plastic I got at work. It is the same stuff they use for wet bench construction, whatever that is... PPE or CPVC I think.

When I got home from work I checked on it. I can't wiggle it off and believe me I tried. I sealed the edges of the block with the 3M Grab-It. This way it will stop any salt water from seeping into any voids that might be there. "Just a safety factor".

I also installed the transducer. I have a 3 day weekend so Im sure I will get out on the water and put it through the paces.

SumDumGuy I think this will survive your back end up on the sand test. :LOL2:

This is the variety I used....
https://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-adhesives/products/kwikweld-twin-tube

I went out fishing today and the transducer block stayed on. When I got back home I wiggled it good and it aint coming off. I need to lower the puck as when I hit top speed it gets screwy and reads crazy like number over 500 ft. when I know the water is about 32 ft. Right now it is level with the boat bottom, so I will probably lower it a hair.

As far as the fishing went, I got one fish tank sized Striped Bass. I mean this thing was about 8 inches and he bit a 4 inch bait. Sure was a hungry little guy.

Skiff I did not acid etch but the original baked on finish from the manufacturer was in tact. I lightly sanded the surface to get the shine off but no exposed aluminum. The boat is 7 years old and the paint is not yet pitted.

What do you think my chances are with corrosion occurring underneath? Should I be worried?

One word of advice I can give for those who are upgrading to down imaging is the puck (transducer) size is huge in comparison to the standard sonar puck. It is a pretty long lever hanging off the boat. You will need to secure it well.

sonny.barile said:
Skiff I did not acid etch but the original baked on finish from the manufacturer was in tact. I lightly sanded the surface to get the shine off but no exposed aluminum. The boat is 7 years old and the paint is not yet pitted.

What do you think my chances are with corrosion occurring underneath? Should I be worried?

One word of advice I can give for those who are upgrading to down imaging is the puck (transducer) size is huge in comparison to the standard sonar puck. It is a pretty long lever hanging off the boat. You will need to secure it well.

4200 or 5200 will not come off.

No need to worry about corrosion if aluminum is protected.

I'll second the opinion that 5200 won't come off. I mounted a 1.5" board on my boat yesterday and tested it by pulling up on it today. Got my boat an inch off the trailer only holding onto the board, it ain't going anywhere!

I used the 3m 5200 to stick a piece of plastic chopping board to my boat. Worked like a charm.