Battery care/maintenance when not using boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Kenney

Reaction score
What's the right way to care for batteries (start/tilt and deep cycle/trolling) when not in use for mutliple months? Disconnect and charge occasionally?

What I do. I just disconnect all cables from it except for the onboard charger to the trolling batteries and I put a trickle charger on the cranking battery make sure all your fluid levels are topped off right about every couple weeks plug it up for about 3 to 5 hours just to top them off. I don't take them out of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But my boat is also garage kept. If not then I would take them out and keep them in a garage to do it and just use trickle chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF you have a "smart charger" then just hook the smart charger up to the batteries after checking the water levels and forget it for the most part. You should still check the water levels periodically.

If you don't have a smart charger, then you can hook it up for 12 hrs once a month, or put a cheap lamp timer on it and it will come on for what length you select. You still need to check the water levels.

I've got smart charger s that go into maintenance mode after the batteries are fully charged, and just check the water levels monthly.

You don't "have" to disconnect anything unless you just want to.

Latest posts