• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Inexpensive / free 16-18' Aluminum Bowrider Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kofkorn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to put together a boat package that I can use with my younger kids. I've always had my eye on the Aluminum bowriders like the Starcraft SS models. I've got a 50 hp Evinrude that I'd like to bolt onto a 16 to 18 ft boat. I don't need a trailer, but if one came with the boat, I wouldn't refuse it.

I'm not afraid of a boat that needs a little work, but I'd like to keep the initial outlay for the package under $300. I know I'm really limiting my choices, but I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist in MA/RI/ME/NH/CT area(s).

I'm not terribly picky on a brand (Starcraft, Sylvan, Sea Nymph), but am more concerned with the layout. Any potential leads would be appreciated. I'm not in a terrible rush and am willing to wait for the right deal.

Thanks for the help!

kofkorn,

You'd be stunned if I told you how many "dirt cheap" or FREE boats that are out there.
(An old school chum of mine recently received an 18 foot Dart deep/wide utility on a usable trailer for free and while he was hooking it up to his pickup, the owner asked him if he needed an outboard motor too. - Tom asked him, "What do you have?" and ended up taking home a Mark 800 Mercury, too.)

While some folks here know that I'm not a "big fan of" Mercury outboards, a free OB isn't hard to "take along".
(Tom sold the outboard to another fellow for 300.oo, so he has ZILCH in the Dart/trailer, after cleaning up the boat & painting, re-habbing and buying tires for the trailer.)

BEST WISHES on your search, satx

I drive out in the country all the time and see boats out in the weeds. Stop off and knock on the door. I've bought many a boat and wrecked truck doing that. MANY!

Thanks for the info from both. I'll certainly be keeping my eye open for something that works. I've always had good luck in getting very good deals as long as I'm patient. There's usually something that fits the bill that comes along now and again.

But if anyone hears or knows of something like this in the New England area, I'd appreciate a quick note.

Thanks!

Everywhere I drive I see boats just sitting around getting damaged by the weather. Drives me crazy how people get boats just for them to sit around.

Dr. Nip & ALL,

What UPSETS me is how many genuinely RARE boats/motors/trailers are "recycled" for scrap metal & that cannot ever be replaced.

Just this week (I've been quite "stove-up" for several days & haven't been "out & about".), I could not get out to PICK-UP "for pocket change" a really RARE & Texas-built 17ft "utility runabout", that was built on "private commission" for a well-to-do fellow from Houston in 1957. - It had a pair of 1957 Johnson Javelins in "fair condition" & it was on a Gator trailer (that only needed tires, cleaning & painting).

I said "was", inasmuch as I found out Saturday PM that the entire rig was sold to a "recycler" & "cut up" for scrap aluminum/iron. = That event made me nearly "physically ill", as this was probably the LAST surviving boat, by a "widely celebrated" Texas boat designer/custom builder.

yours, satx

Latest posts