Killing gar and/or bleeding-out?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion_134

Reaction score
Even after sticking an arrow through it, leaving it out of water for two hours, and beating it's head in with a hammer a few times, this thing was still squriming.

How do y'all kill it so it is a little less "fun" to clean?

Do y'all bleed it out (similar to what must be done for a shark) and does it make the meat taste better? Trying to squash a rumor here.

Thanks,
Jesse

i take a fillet knife and stab straight through the spine on any fish still kicking a cleaning time. might have to go between the scales on a armored fish like carp and gar.

I don't have many gar in the waters I shoot, but when carp and dogfish keep flopping and making noise after they are shot I have a bat that is wrapped with a chain. A quick tap to the top of the head breaks the skull and kills the fish quickly and humanely

I caught a 4.5ft gar sunday on a spinning rod and when I cleaned it I used a sawzall and a big wood blade to cut the head off. **** tough fish

I found a shovel handle on the bank of the river last summer. Its perfect for finishing off fish.

I had this issue a couple days ago cleaning a bass. The thing just would not die! It was in the boat for 2 hours, I got home and beat it on the head several times with a wood oar. Then while I was scaling it, it started moving again... Put a knife through the head right behind the eye. Still moving? Did that a few more times. Started to filet it and it was still moving! I put the knife into the head one more time and finally got it.

I felt bad for the fish, although I've read studies that they don't have the nerves to actually feel pain, but there's no way it could be pleasant. I'll try wrapping a chain around my oar next time. Or a hammer. Usually grabbing them by the tail and whacking its head on the bench does the job for me though. That was one freak of nature fish. My roommate was trying to get me to take it out back and shoot it!

Bottom of my livewell has this picture, fish just commit suicide when I throw them in there.
Tim

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 8,308

Latest posts