NEPA Delaware River?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Delaware Fisher

Reaction score
Anyone fishing the Delaware River in northeast Pennsylvania? Not having much luck with the walleye or the small mouth since the temp change here. Usually the fishing gets better in the fall. Any input to make my outings more eventful would be appreciated! What baits ya using? What depth? A month ago i couldn't keep the fish off my jig!

Night fishing W/ stickbaits. As it gets colder it only gets better! In the last several weeks we have caught walleyes, stripers, and a 46" musky. Most people don't night fish for walleyes, and don't realize how productive it can be. 99% of my walleye fishing is after dark, and have been doing it for years.

Thanks bud! I've spend some time in lake wallenpaupak night fishing for walleye. Usually in about 2-8 feet of water. Does the same go for the river? What color you getting em on? Suspending or Floating stick bait? Sorry for the 21 questions but dont get much time to fish due to the addition of twin girls so i like to do my best to make the little time i get successful

Varies on where we fish. If the water is deep enough we use HJ 10's or HJ 12's. Fire Tiger is a good bet, but other colors work also.
If fishing shallower water, it's better to use a floater. Almost all the fish I catch come from the depths you mentioned, 1-8'. They can be very shallow at night.
If you want to read some good posts on fishing a river, go to "walleye central" and read the Susquehanna River thread.
BASICS!!!!---EDDYS, EDGES OF CURRENT, CURRENT BREAKS, AREAS WITH LARGE ROCKS, FRONT AND BACK OF BRIDGE PIERS. No secret, just have to do a little homework and find prime spots. These will also hold walleyes during the day.
You can go to ANY article on fishing a river for walleyes, and every one of them will mention the basics I listed above.

It doesn't look like the rain affected the river too much so I'll try heading out this weekend. I'm downstream quite a bit but it's stilll really low.

Went out today and the bite was on! I caught a bunch of small mouth and my fair share of walleye. One of which was a personal best! Tomorrow when i upload the pic to my pc ill post it.

Was out last night. YES, the bite is on!!!!! Now if only I could keep those pesky stripers away!!! :lol:
Nothing big, but managed 14 walleyes and 8 stripers.

This is my personal best. Biggest one I've seen pulled out of the stretch of river i fish. Not sure of the weight but it was 27 inches long.

Attachments

• walleye3.jpg
    walleye3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,933
Nice river Eye! =D>
My PB from the river is 29 1/4", before that 28 1/2". One of the guys I fish with has one 29", and another guy has one 28 1/2".
There are 30+ in there!

Right on.. Congrats on the PB.. Way Cool. Now if I could just catch one Walleye.. heheheh Don't matter what size it is. It would be my Personal Best.

Thanks bud. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good! My first one was about 10 years ago off a dock at Lake Wallepaupak fishing with a minnow and a bobber and it wasn't much bigger then the minnow!! :LOL2: You'll get one if your out there enough.

I look forward to that day. I'm originally from California and I don't recall ever hearing of or seeing a walleye back there. Don't believe their are any in CA. Been here in Georgia for 3 1/2 yrs now so that possibility has become a do-able. Don't know yet if a Pike is do-able yet or not though. BUT, Thank God the Bass still are :) and Trout still are. Wooot yeah.

Thanks man! I really want to try and do the night thing but gotta hook up a toggle switch for lights and between trying to get some archery hunting, some fishing and some odds and ends done i just take what i can get.

I have that same problem in the spring. Trout, shad, turkey hunting, walleye fishing, getting the odds and ends done! #-o
Heck, I should just pitch a tent at the river, I could do 4 of the 5 right there! :lol:

HAHA things are hectic this time of year but all worth it. Did ya bag a turkey yesterday? Went out in the afternoon for a archery sit and the wind was outrageous! Saw one doe as we were setting up and not a **** thing after that.

Latest posts