Upper Potomac

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no islands that im aware of. If you want, I should be able to launch at snyders, run up to taylors, and text you the gps track to load onto gps essentials if you want to try it before we make it out?

there are plenty of islands from dam 4 down to taylors though.

tied up a few of these to fish for some bigger fish.

20140814_234104.jpg

20140814_234345.jpg

after leaving the taylors ramp, you have about a mile of wide open throttle water. You'll see some clifffs on the WV side. slow down theres a ledge there. its not too bad, several chutes in the middle. After that ledge you have another pool for 1/4 mile or so. The pass on this one is the maryland shore. That will get you to the lower tip of shepherds island. The next ledge is V shaped, and theres a chute in the center and the left side of it. After that, you need to idle most of the way. You will come to a pool that has a large flat rock standing straight up out of the river on the maryland shore. You can run through here WOT. youll go under some power lines. you'll be able to see the dam now. The next few ledges are pretty bad. The I take the left side through a small shoot, then immediately go to the maryland side and work my way up to the WV ramp. get inline with the island closest to the MD shore, then youll notice the channel does a Z up into the dam.

Thanks again Josh!! Headed up that way yesterday afternoon to check on some possible hunting spots. The ledges on that stretch of the river are crazy!! There were a ton of canoes and kayaks hanging out on the first ledge fishing. They all stopped to watch me run that first lege. Made me a bit nervous!! Made it through there no problems. There are probably 4 or 5 chutes at that ledge. I took the biggest one I saw. Followed your advice and found a nice chute hugging the MD shore on the second ledge. No problems there either. It got pretty skinny once we got to the down river side of Sheperds Island, so I didn't attempt to go any farther. I saw the chute in the middle of the ledge you referenced. If you made it through there I'm impressed!! I've gotten rather conservative after imploding my foot and tearing a hole in my hull, but I didn't want to risk running up that chute. The water in that area is too swift to hunt anyway and the island banks are to steep to setup on.

we actually made it up to the dam an only bumped once. If you idle up to the chute on the left of that third ledge you should be able to float through it without being on plane...we did and im almost positive my boat drafts more than yours.

caught this one and about 30 others at snyders today. blue bird skies, cold front... but the water did come up almost a foot from the rains the past two days.

20140907_152904.jpg

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=365691#p365691 said:
JoshKeller » 07 Sep 2014, 19:55[/url]"]caught this one and about 30 others at snyders today. blue bird skies, cold front... but the water did come up almost a foot from the rains the past two days.

20140907_152904.jpg

Nice fish! Was out last night. Beautiful day to fish. Put a mixed bag in the boat but none over 12". Was above Dam #5. Seems to me the quality of the fish are better down that way.

What can any of you guys tell me about the river below Williamsport and the old power plant dam? I have recently gained access to a private boat ramp just up river from the Potomac Fish and Game club. Curious how shallow it is and how easy it is to run? Looking to head as far up as the 81 bridge. Only ever been on that stretch of the river in an airboat before.

this time of year it should be no problem running the whole way up. Summer time, theres quite a few nasty ledges. Let me look at my notes and i'll type it all out later tonight/this weekend when i get a chance.

JoshKeller said:
this time of year it should be no problem running the whole way up. Summer time, theres quite a few nasty ledges. Let me look at my notes and i'll type it all out later tonight/this weekend when i get a chance.

Thanks man. Looking to head up there maybe within the next week or two to do some hunting. If you have notes regarding water level and running ability I'd REALLY appreciate it. Might float hunt that stretch first to get a feel for it.

Have you had yours out at all lately?

Not sure if any of you guys have seen this yet or not.

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/c-o-canal-fees-needed-to-offset-budget-cuts-park/article_c4ddc46e-b6a6-55c4-b586-52b6d18b0c34.html

I wont be playing their game. Shepherdstown is a WV launch, riverbottom is owned by the city of williamsport. anywhere else on the river I can access from the WV side. I always used snyders/taylors as a convenience. I can access either of those by running up from shepherdstown or down river from the powerplant on WV.

They cite budget cuts/personnel cuts.... Funny, there wasnt a personnel shortage when the government shut down and they were closing off and patrolling the c&o to keep us out.

I also wont be buying a MD fishing license or purchasing anything in MD this year.

If you disagree with the proposed fees (obviously you do), please take the time to officially comment to the National Park Service, C&O Canal National Park. The web address to provide comments and the dates and times of the public meetings can be found in this link:

https://www.nps.gov/choh/parknews/c-and-o-canal-invites-feedback-on-proposal-to-increase-and-expand-entrance-and-other-fees-park-wide.htm

Comment sent. I figured it up, and I spent roughly $3500 last year in MD just by fishing the potomac. That is all going into WV now if this passes.

Sorry to hear that. The National Park Service charging a fee to access a National Park has nothing to do with MD DNR or your fishing license. Revenue generated from fishing licenses pay for fisheries management and access at State owned facilities. None of the money generated by the proposed fees to access the C&O Canal will go to Maryland, they go towards maintaining the C&O Canal park.

Latest posts