NEPA Delaware River?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are diehards! I had hoped to get out one more time but it got too cold so fast. I have circulation issues in my feet and hands so no way I can go out on the water now. Boat is parked in the garage and done for the season.

Its not too bad just have to dress right. Hot hands and foot warmers help when its cold. Rain gear for when its windy. Did ok today, spent more time searching for them than catching. Once I found them I had 3 pretty quick. I want some rain/snow so this river gets really high, might lose a few days of fishing but it would be worth it. I can get where I want to now but its still too shallow.

Last outing wasn't too eventful but i didn't get skunked! 1 short walleye. Rifle season starts here tomorrow so prob wont be out again until that ends. Hopefully there wont be any ice at the ramps and i can try and catch a few more before the winter really sets in.

Im hoping to be able to fish most of the winter, need higher waters though. Went today, bite was really slow. Landed 4 all in the 17-21 inch range and had 5 hits.

Looks like the river is supposed to come up a lot from this rain. This is going to help a lot.

Probably won't last too long. Beltzville Lake is very low, as were most of the streams around here. When you see the lake drawn down, they are using it to help maintain the flow of the Delaware. It surprised me that the river is even predicted to hit 8.1 ft. at Tocks.
I've caught plenty of eyes when it's around 5.8 ft.

I like it around 5-6 ft in belvidere but its been mid 3s a long time. Called for 7.8 but now down to 6. Some high water will make it a little easier to find them.

Not sure if anyone is checking these reports since the only way to hit the river right now and for the foreseeable future is with ice skates...but I figured I'd ask anyway.

What do you guys recommend for anchoring in the upper Delaware? I've got a 14 ft tin boat, with a 15 hp on it and I know I won't be breaking any speed records but I'll be doing most of my fishing drifting or anchoring. I've got a 15lb mushroom which has held my canoe in the areas I fish up there, but I'm not as confident it will hold the tin boat. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would suggest at the minimum around a 20 lb. river anchor, the type with the 3 flukes. Actually a large can with an eyebolt and filled with concrete can work pretty well. Have to watch what type of anchor you use, there are probably hundreds of them hung up on the bottom there.
I have a deckhand 40 pontoon anchor winch on my boat W/remote, much easier to drift, anchor, drift, anchor, etc. Love that thing!

I have a 12 pound anchor with three prongs which holds good and the steaper the angle the better. It holds both my boats okay but id like something heavier for stronger current. A mushroom might not dig in enough. And yes if you dont use the proper anchor it will get snagged, I have two down there so far :?

I/we use an 18lb anchor that holds MOST of the time. Depends on the bottom and current, the river can be a tough place to anchor at spots.

I welded rebar to a piece of pipe for my anchor. when it hits bottom hooks almost right away. I have been out when the river was high and the anchor would drift down stream 30-40 yards before hitting/hooking bottom. I would suggest at least 20lbs with something to bite the bottom.

Thanks for the info. The anchor I have is actually a 15lb river anchor, not a mushroom as I said. I actually have two of them. I think to be sure I'd better find a 30lb anchor. Maybe someone on here would be up for a trade, I also have an 8lb collapsible and a danforth which I'm not using.

Any other shad fishermen here?

I see you guys are quite familiar with the big "D". I have always shore fished for sm bass, walleye and shad. A little over a year ago I refurbished an old 10' jon boat and I just picked up a 2.5 hp outboard motor. Before everyone starts I know it's WAY underpowered but I'm not looking to run up rapids etc..
I wanted to know if there are any long and calm areas near launches that I could use the boat to fish for smallies ? I would most likely be launching on the Jersey side.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

That's an awful small boat to be on the river with, be careful! Even a lot of the "calm" water has plenty of current. Then you have the wakes from other boats on the river, even with them going slow!
IMO: I would not feel comfortable in a boat that small on the river; but I'm OLD!

overboard said:
IMO: I would not feel comfortable in a boat that small on the river; but I'm OLD!

I'm old too .. well mid 50's ! LOL
I feel very comfortable in it. I can stand and cast. I can motor while standing fairly comfortably. I've had it on smaller rivers such as the Passaic and on reservoirs such as Monksville using my electric trolling motor. I've read many times how tippy and unstable they are but to me it feels fairly stable. Now if it were the Pack canoe I would definitely say tippy and not stable.
I think it boils down to each individual. I had the pack canoe years ago before they even came out. It was a prototype model they were testing in the Penobscot River .. geez that must have been about 24 years ago. To me it was very easy to maneuver but highly unstable. I couldn't stand in it to save my life. The slightest lean over the side I felt like I was going for a swim.
Anyhow any info would be appreciated. So far drifting and motoring from Poxono to the Gap sounds doable (?). I wouldn't be planning to go until probably around June.

I used to take my small 1232 jon boat on the Delaware all the time until I recently bought a larger boat. I definitely knew my limits with that boat but I never had any issues. I didn't even have a gas motor on it, made it up and down with a 40# thrust trolling motor. I usually launch out of Bushkill on the the Pa side, there's a pretty long stretch of calmer water through there with varying depths and structure, and I've caught lots of smallmouth and walleye throughout there. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the boat launches on the Jersey side at all so I can't really help you there, but I would say definitely doable for that stretch of river you're looking to float. Aside from weaving in and out of all the tourists kayaking down the same stretch of river of course... :?

Thank you NEPA_Fisherman. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about the tourists.
I'm glad to hear someone else has done the same thing. I think drifting down while fishing shouldn't be a problem. And if it is a good stretch I could always motor back up for another drift. Well that is going to be the game plan anyhow.

Latest posts