Another successful Striper trip..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
8 Total stripers caught Tuesday morning.

Two guys, Jerry and Larry, got 3 and I got two.
16 lbs, 17 lbs, 19 lbs, 19 lbs, 22 lbs, 25 lbs, 32 lbs, and Jerry got the big one at 33 lbs.

The guide ran out of bait about the same time that we ran out of energy. Left home at 2:45 a.m. and returned about 11 a.m., even after stopping for breakfast.

There was no great talent on our part. The guide knew what he was doing!
I am the big ugly guy in the bottom picture.
richg99

Attachments

• IMG_0599 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_0599 - Edited.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,424
  • 20160614_091102.jpg
    20160614_091102.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,424
  • 20160614_093317.jpg
    20160614_093317.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,424
That looks like it would be a lot of fun to do.....congrats, nice fish....:)

Yes. You are correct . The guide was Billy Davis at
https://www.meltonhillbill.com

$300. For a half day, $450.00 for a full day. When you split that ( plus a modest tip) between two or three guys, it is well worth the money. He provides everything needed for fishing.

Expect to have fun.

Bill operates near Knoxville TN.

richg99

Nice catch!!

I fish Norris Lake every year just north of Knoxville and we catch striper to eat. They taste excellent!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Johnny said:
great day on the water Rich !!

question - do ya'll eat stripers ??
or strictly a sport fish. We don't have them
here in Florida South of Jacksonville. I have only
seen them in the fish tank at the Bass Pro Shop.

yes, the guide did his job quite well !!
Stripper are delicious we catch our limit daily during season in Virginia Beach!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Compared to crappie & bass, the filets are a bit more oily, have a reddish tint to 'em and taste a bit more "gamey" IMO, but still pretty good eating.

I cut the red meat out. A thin v-cut on the red and it pulls right out. I've heard the red meat is the gamey taste.

kreature said:
I cut the red meat out. A thin v-cut on the red and it pulls right out. I've heard the red meat is the gamey taste.

Looks like a good and enjoyable trip Rich!
First striper I ate out of our local lake was not so good, then I was told to cut the red out, now that I know to do that they are pretty darn good!

End of July wasn't very good. One 21 lb striper. Live bait all died in the first hour. Finally got the one on a big swim bait with 30 minutes to go. Going again next Tuesday. Rich

Prowelder said:
Johnny said:
great day on the water Rich !!

question - do ya'll eat stripers ??
or strictly a sport fish. We don't have them
here in Florida South of Jacksonville. I have only
seen them in the fish tank at the Bass Pro Shop.

yes, the guide did his job quite well !!
Stripper are delicious we catch our limit daily during season in Virginia Beach!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Years ago we used to eat the stripers we caught in the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta. I wouldn't eat one now because of the mercury contamination. Health warnings say maybe one portion/week is OK, unless you are a child or woman of child bearing age, then they say don't eat stripers period. Same applies to fish like black bass & cat fish. Too Bad.

Rich,
Was this Norris Lake ? I'm planning a trip with my brother for October. Wondering if you could share some local knowledge of the area.

We always look for a campground where we can beach a boat overnight... ever do any camping there ?

The latest trip was another bust. I am now convinced that July and August are not the best months to go. October should be great. I have one more trip on October 7 set up.

We were not on Norris. But, I think that stripers are on every body of water around here.

Sometimes they are below the dam, sometimes up river. I can't figure out when or where. That's what the guide is for.

In the two bust trips even though he found fish, they weren't in the mood to bite. I won't go during daylight on or near a full l moon anymore. Never have had any luck doing that. Sometimes you just go when you can.

Next year I'll plan better. When I get back to Texas, I'll have try to figure all that out there. rich

Latest posts