Found a redfish this morning, about 25+ inches,fat & feisty

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Other than a bonefish, not too many fish pull harder than a redfish, pound for pound.

Darn red walked me around the boat once! richg99

Attachments

• DSCF1441cropped.jpg
    DSCF1441cropped.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 937
Other than rusting hooks and fittings, IMHO fresh and saltwater lures are very similar.

In recent weeks, I've caught a 6 lb saltwater sheepshead, some 16/17 inch long Atlantic Cutlass "Ribbon fish", some Sand trout and also a number of regular specks (spotted sea trout), all on a Rattletrap.

I caught this red on a twin-tail plastic that looked remarkedly similar to the picture below. It was a lure (or tout as I still call them) made by someone at the Bastrop Bayou Marina near Freeport TX. Next time I take a trip down there, I am going to buy half dozen or so.

That one lure has caught saltwater speckled trout, this red, and a couple of LM bass recently. It was unique in that it had a jointed, twin hooked jighead. The "joint" part gives it a lot more flex when retrieving. The actual lure was lost to an oyster reef recently, I believe.

My box(es) are filled with many freshwater lures. One that I haven't had much luck on, but many guys here swear by them... are Mann's 1 minus near-top-water lures for redfish. I fish both a few local freshwater lakes and the Texas flats.

A smarter person would make up separate boxes for salt and fresh, but I seem to want the lure that I don't have with me when I do that.

When I fish with my kayak(s), they keep my "lure-mania" under control, simply because there isn't enough room to bring too many baits.

regards, richg99

images

Latest posts