Fluoro Leader Breaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got out yesterday for a few hours with no luck. Am really liking the Yo-Zuri hybrid. After a few casts it has virtually zero memory. Also seems really strong for 4# test. I was getting snagged a good bit yesterday fishing tubes and I was able to muscle my lure free without breaking my line. It is nice and soft and not as finicky as braid, which was getting on my nerves last year!!

I think most people's problems with fluoro are that they don't wet the line when you cinched your knot. Just like Cap'n Ahab mentioned, tighten the knot wet in your mouth - really get spit on it. Fluoro under a microscope looks a lot like sandpaper. Dragged across itself dry it acts like a saw blade.

I've used many different types of fluoro, some are better than others, but knots breaking is never my issue (usually stiffness/ memory are the problem.) I've used mainly improved clinch knots, regular old clinch knots and the trusty palomar with no issues. I've used viscious, berkley vanish, cabela's brand, seaguar (very nice stuff but you pay for it) and bass pro shops (the old pre-KVD label stuff was the best out there for the money IMO). I didn't like any of them spooled exclusively on a reel - too much memory - I prefer a fluoro leader on braid, but I will use the yo-zuri for a leader or by itself. I used to use it (10lb test) exclusively, flipping, pitching, cranking, you name it the stuff is fantastic. Now I've gravitated toward braid tipped with a fluoro leader for the combination of the cast-ability of the braid and the invisibility of the fluoro (too much visibility in the bass water in CT), but for straight up finesse gear I still will use all yo-zuri 10# clear for the sensitivity. The stuff lasts a LONG time. I'm still working off a bulk spool of 600yds that I bought off ebay 4 years ago and it's just as good as ever. Mono would be cracking in your hands at this point.

I can't say enough how I absolutely LOVE the Yo-Zuri for its strength and durability - flipping and pitching weedy brushy cover is nothing actually - I have caught every single salmon and steelhead I've ever landed (100+ fish), including numerous 20lb + salmon all from upstate New York from a rocky ankle deep stretch of river and not had it break on me and I'm only using 10lb test! We also caught 10-15lb steelhead using all the same gear on the same trip. Love it, love it, love it...

This one was only 17lbs (braid with a 4' 10lb test yo-zuri leader) but you can see how skinny the water is against my 6' tall brother:

brhpUD1.jpg

And me (i'm ~6'3" for reference) kneeling in a pool on the outside of a bend in the river with a girl in the 20~25lb class with a steelhead on the stringer in the background - again - all braid with 4' 10lb test yo-zuri leaders:

KLDNGUo.jpg

No wire leaders despite the nasty teeth on those things - Yo-zuri is amazing stuff...the only thing i didn't care for it was in 4lb diameter on my ultralight gear it just had too much memory for the small diameter spool on my reel, but only really skinny mono or braid lays nicely on that tiny thing so I won't judge the line too harshly for that.

Latest posts