Any Berkley NanoFil users?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
I need to re-spool my ultra lite spinning reel soon, and have had my eye on Berkley's (relatively) new offering, NanoFil, which is apparently an ultra lite and spinning-specific line. Does anybody have any experience with it? It seems that the reviews are pretty mixed, the main negative being that it has pretty poor (or at least below-average) knot strength, although of course some people are adamant that this is not an issue at all.

Anybody have experience with the stuff & care to chime in? Its opaque white color is a little off-putting to me, although at that thin of a diameter, any difference is probably marginal (hell, a lot of people swear by the original grey Fireline & even the Crystal is not as transparent as standard mono and fluoro lines).

FWIW -- I use 4 lb. test, which I think has the equivalent diameter to the 10 lb. NanoFil. In the past, I've used Berkley Trilene XL, Berkley Fireline Crystal, and most recently, P-Line Floroclear. I've enjoyed and have had overall great experiences with all three, but probably prefer the P-Line out of the bunch (probably would be the Fireline if it didn't have zero stretch, which I never got accustomed to with targeting smaller fish and using smaller lures).

Target species are primarily panfish, smaller bass, and pickerel.

-- SMDave

No experience myself but my Buddy that guides really likes it. I've not heard him say anything bout problems with knots

No 1st hand experience, but guys in my local club found it to be finicky with the knots you use, especially when tying to a fluorocarbon leader. Berkley came up with a knot for it, and it should be somewhere in the paperwork with the line or on their website.

Latest posts