strangest red drum I ever saw

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it almost looks like a spot tail bass/spotted seatrout hybrid!!

I have seen spot tail bass with clusters of 15-20 spots, but always around the tail area, never along the entire upper half of the body.

Biologists believe reds develop black spots, usually one on each side near the tail, as camouflage. The idea is to make a predator think its tail is really its head. It's easier to heal a tail wound, then a head-on-attack wound.

The predator fish typically is aiming for the head, zeroing in on the "eye," but in this case the spot. The norm for spotting is one spot on each side of the tail, but variations are countless. Some have spots evenly balanced from side to side while others bear completely different markings from port to starboard. Spots can range past a redfish's tail, occasionally stretching up to its gills.

Most spots occur separately, but connected dots occasionally create unique patterns. Usually, the fish absorb the pigmentation, losing the spot, by the time they become adult breeders at 10 pounds or so. Generally, a red can live 30 to 40 years.

Theories about redfish spots and numbers range from salinity levels to geographical locations. Biologist Gina Russo, the program coordinator for the past Project Tampa Bay, a hatchery project, believes it's as simple as random selection by nature.

Although rare, some redfish are caught with no spots. All reds begin life this way, but those whose destiny is to have freckles will develop their lifetime pattern by their forth or fifth month.

Russo also crushes some common myths. Redfish do not change their spots and hatchery-raised reds have the same spot tendencies as wild reds.

- See more at: https://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze...on-redfish.html?nav=5016#sthash.w1VbmLLM.dpuf

huntinfool said:
Hatchery fish.

I don't know that we do that in Northwest Florida. I'm thinking it's evolution taking a crack at something new.
Or the result of a red fish and a speckled trout hooking up at a school graduation. Pun intended. Alcohol and bad judgement may not be limited to just humans. :LOL2:

In Texas we have hatchery fish added to the local population. Our numbers went down and their restocking efforts have paid off. But several of the hatchery fish have odd spots.

DocWatson said:
Although rare, some redfish are caught with no spots. All reds begin life this way, but those whose destiny is to have freckles will develop their lifetime pattern by their forth or fifth month.

I have actually caught small redfish like this. Had to double check to make sure they weren't large croaker, as there is a resemblance, since they are in the same family.

Latest posts