Alumacraft Jet Jon Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have too much of a step between aluminum hull & jet ski insert. Maybe you could use some bondo to feather it out (just as a test). It looks like the center rib could be tapered out more gradually too.

Tested yesterday and still no good. Used some more urethane to smooth out the step in front of the intake. Going to try and massage the bottom up some and then try to taper the the spoon to a better front curve. Probably going to remove about a foot of the main keel and smooth out the metal break in the center. You said your spoon was about 4' long right?

There are pictures earlier in this thread which are a good example of what doesn't work :?

Here is a photo of what I did to fix it. I used the dropout aluminum fron when I cut the tunnel hole. It is working very well, I have run in 3 inch chop at speed with no cavitation. Before this it would cavitate with ripples.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

new bottom 002.JPG

Attachments

• new bottom 003.JPG
    new bottom 003.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,830
Nice work! That looks very nice. I'm a little embarrassed to post my pics...kinda feel like a hack; guess I am. Oh well, it's my first time! Tonight I removed more of the center section where the boat was broke at the factory. As you can see it opened it up (don't mind the hammer marks). Test tomorrow. I'll report in about this time.

Attachments

• 20161018_182407.jpg
    20161018_182407.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,823
  • 20161018_182254.jpg
    20161018_182254.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,823
  • 20161018_182142.jpg
    20161018_182142.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,823
Happy to report that it's heading in the right direction. Was able to run through the bumps with no problem. 3" chop At 1/2 throttle. Any bigger was 1/4 throttle or less. Was able to turn sharper without cavitation.
Still considering the top loader and building up the front of the spoon. I asked my son to record a video for me...thought youth was good with technology. Didnt get anything but rocks!

Tonight I removed the screws I had to hold the edge of the boat when it was cut. They where right in front of the intake but they were somewhat in front of the grates of the intake. Used the urethane to seal the holes off and around the rest of the screw underneath. Gonna test tomorrow! This photo is before the screws were removed.

Latest posts