Boat size for 1992 50/35 Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soky72

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pick up a new Weldbilt boat and was thinking about a 1752 but started reading online and now I'm not sure if my motor is enough for this size? Maybe it's better suited on a 1648???

I’ve got a 50/35 Tohatsu on my 1648. The maximum speed on my gps running downstream was 24mph. That was with 2 men, a trolling motor with 2 batteries, and full tank of gas. No livewell in the boat or a ton of gear in storage compartments. The maximum hp rating on the boat is 35.

a while back before I had a jet, a girl I dated her dad had an older all welded polar craft 1752 or maybe 1748 with a 50/35 omc just an open hull tiller boat it would take three guys up river with a small cooler and light fishing gear pretty well. Had a trolling motor up front with it's own battery gas and starter in the back. It wasn't setting the river on fire but it got on step surprisingly well. To be fair I'm a small guy around 150lb, her dad was decent size 6'2" probably 230ish, and my buddy that came fish with us was 6' 180ish so it wasn't like each guy was big bubba, but I was surprised how well it did. I'd say keeping the boat light was the key his didn't have a floor, no live well, no steering counsel, just a 6 gallon gas tank, it wasn't like we packed it for a week long trip just took a cooler with a few drinks and snacks, and the fishing gear we needed. I don't know the exact speed we went this was before I had a smart phone with a speedo ap and it only had a basic fish finder no gps for speed. But it would get on step pretty well, and would get us up river as fast as we needed to go I'd say 24-25mph.

Scott F said:
I’ve got a 50/35 Tohatsu on my 1648. The maximum speed on my gps running downstream was 24mph. That was with 2 men, a trolling motor with 2 batteries, and full tank of gas. No livewell in the boat or a ton of gear in storage compartments. The maximum hp rating on the boat is 35.

I would expect more out of that setup. My 1648 with Tohatsu 40/25 (w/ full tank cooler and wife) will easily hit 26-7 going up and 30+ down.

Also agree with Andy on the speed estimate.
Weldbilts seem fairly heavy. My 1742 weldbilt weighs a lot more than my 1648 blazer.

I run a 1994 Johnson 50/35 on a Tracker 1648 ModV and get mid 20's down and low 20's up river turning 5400 rpm's with 2 guys, cooler, fishing gear 24V trolling motor, 8 gallons of gas and 2 group 27 batteries. Used to get upper 20's to 30 before I beat the crap out of my hull bottom.

if your not beating up the bottom on your boat then you didn't need a jet, or your just not using your boat. My boat has it's fair share of dents just part of it if your using a jet boat for what it's intended.

I'm running a 1648 weldbilt with a 2 cycle Tohatsu 50/35. Goes as fast as I want to go. It uses more fuel than a prop. It's a modvee with not much extra weight, tanks up front. The 50/35 would work maybe, but had to do some mods on transom and splash protector to get it setup.

Attachments

• 100_3350.JPG
    100_3350.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,945

Latest posts