Outboard jet planing issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark River Runner

Reaction score
I just bought a 1752 alweld flatbottom jet boat. I have a tiller 60/40 merc jet. I took it out for the first time this afternoon and when on plane it's porposing bad. I have never had a jet boat do this. I have two batteries, a charger and my gas tank in the back. My wife was sitting on a cooler about halfway. I have always ran my boats this way for the last 14 years and never had an issue. I can't go full throttle and trim the motor at all. Even at slower speeds I have to remain trimmed down and the back of the boat seems to be to low for being on plane. My last boat with same motor was set up the same way and never did this. It was a 1644. The motor was mounted by the dealer who also mounted it on last boat as well. Seems to be mounted cottectly. Havent had alot of seat time to try different things yet. I am lost.

Try bending your tabs Down. Remember it takes VERY LITTLE adjustment on tabs to go a long ways. Move one battery up front if you can.

I had to add the transom wedges and moved as much weight forward as possible to stop my 1652 from porpoising. I moved my console forward and put the battery under the console as well. It planes out much quicker and there is no porpoising.

-

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 3,446
  • Lowe_1652_6.jpg
    Lowe_1652_6.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,446
You have a lot of weight in the rear. Don't mess with the motor until you see what adding weight to the front does for you. With you and the motor in the stern I would move everything else forward in front of your wife. Set the motor on the middle pin for your tilt. You can simulate some of that by putting 5 gallon buckets of water in the front but try to keep the total weight close to what you'll have on a regular day of fishing. You may end up having to use a wedge with your motor mount but try to adjust the easy stuff first. The jets are very sensitive to weight placement and each hull is different. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Try moving the weight around as already mentioned and bending the trim tabs if you have them.

If that doesn't get it under control you may need a whale tail. It will help you plane faster, run on plane at slower speeds, and help pull the bow down and keep it from porpoising. Troutt and Sons should have them in stock and can get you fixed up.

Well I took the boat out after work when I didn't have the wife and kid with me to get a better idea of what the boats was doing.. I moved my trolling battery up front and moved a cooler up there and added some water for weight. Starter battery was still in the back and only had about 2 gallons of gas in the tank. I was able to plane out at full throttle but could not trim it up at all with out the front end hopping. It seems like moving both batteries up front won't immediatly fix the problem. I still may have to but I'm hoping I can them back there for the convienence. Next step will be to call Troutt and Sons to ask about adding a whale tale or adjusting the trim tabs. At least I will be able to take it fishing until I can get it fixed. If I have someone sit up near the deck it will work for now. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I will get it worked out soon.

If you have the trim tabs all you have to do is take a hammer and block of wood and tap them down a bit. They are easily adjustable and will help.

I would recommend the whale tale either way. With a tiller and most of the weight in the rear if will help out the most. When I first got my 1860 with the 115 fourstroke, it done the same thing, any trim and it would porpoise. The whale tail took care of it and made it a completely different handling boat. It will also give you the benefit of bumping the trim down a bit in heavy chop and waves, which will pull the bow down and help cut through the waves without having to slow down as much. I had Troutt's take care of mine back in 02' and have went there ever since.

Problem solved! Troutt and Sons got me fixed up. They added a whale tale and adjusted my trim tabs. By myself it will still porpoise when I trim it way up but the whale tail can settle it down real quick when I trim down. I do have a lot of weight in the back though. I will prolly move both trolling motor batteries up front when i can get the money for a 24v tm. I did notice when I trim it way up that I get a lot of splash over the transom but slightry trimming down makes it go away w/o losing speed. Thanks for the advice guys it's exactly what I needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 3,338
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 3,338
Good to hear it is fixed. Nothing worse than getting a new boat and not being able to run it.

Once you get the batteries up front it will help you out more. It should balance it out about right. When I first bought mine it done exactly the same. I had 2 batteries and the trolling motor up front. The whale tail was the only thing to keep the porpoising under control.

If you have room put the batteries in full battery boxes or secure them with ratchet straps. They take a beating up front. I had one break a strap and turn over dumping acid down the boat.

I can't trim my motor up at all without starting to get spray over the back. But I have a tunnel so my motor is already mounted higher and you can't use a whale tail with a tunnel setup either. But I really have no need to trim the motor up while under way so it's no big deal.