2070 alweld

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet them predators are fast with that inboard. I was thinking about getting one of those but decided to go with an outboard

Just checking in to see how you like the pods since you have had it for some time. Have a few questions. Are they flush with the bottom of the hull or do they rise up toward the rear of the pod? Does it slide any in turns?

I had a mishap over the weekend and may be ordering a new one. I like the idea of a shallower draft but I have to be able to slide to get through several areas that I run.

I couldn't imagine one without pods I wouldn't get one without them. It doesn't slide uncontrollably but if you want to whip the back end you can. The pods are flat with the back I'm not really sure if the rise a bit but I can take a closer look.

Did you get surge brakes on the trailer. One of the few things left I was considering. I think they would help at times, but I don't want more headaches later on either. I'm going with the Diamond City trailer also, I figure the aluminum will be the easiest to maintain. Will not have to deal with rust spots and repainting later.

Going with a 2060 Alweld Patriot, commercial rated, 28" sides and 250 Pro XS again. Still unsure about pods, I like the idea of a shallower draft, but I want some bow lift while underway. If I get them they will probably have to be customized with an upward angle after the transom, I don't want them level with the hull.

Should be settling with the insurance company in the next week or 2. The hull and motor is going to be totaled. I plan on buying the hull back and using it only for gigging, that way I can leave the rail on it and not tear up the new one.

No breaks or anything on trailer. Ya tough call I can't just say get pods you'll love them but no way I'd buy a boat with out them. I plane out a lot shallower too.

dhoganjr said:
Did you get surge brakes on the trailer. One of the few things left I was considering. I think they would help at times, but I don't want more headaches later on either. I'm going with the Diamond City trailer also, I figure the aluminum will be the easiest to maintain. Will not have to deal with rust spots and repainting later.

Going with a 2060 Alweld Patriot, commercial rated, 28" sides and 250 Pro XS again. Still unsure about pods, I like the idea of a shallower draft, but I want some bow lift while underway. If I get them they will probably have to be customized with an upward angle after the transom, I don't want them level with the hull.

Should be settling with the insurance company in the next week or 2. The hull and motor is going to be totaled. I plan on buying the hull back and using it only for gigging, that way I can leave the rail on it and not tear up the new one.

On the pods most places/people make them so they are flush with the bottom of the hull or just little higher than the bottom at the front of the pod. Then usually the bottom of pods angle up slightly so the back is around 2-4" higher than the front. This is done to keep them from causing drag while on plane they aren't in the water really. But will be in water when the boat is not on plane providing the extra buoyancy that helps you plane out quicker and draft shallower when not on plane. If the bottom of the pods are smooth and they have a slight angle on them they shouldn't prevent you from sliding a whole lot I don't think. I can't say for sure never had a boat without pods and then with to comment on the difference. I plan on making some pods for my boat need to quit being cheap and just buy the aluminum for it and make them. Any disadvantage is outweighed by the advantages I think. I really don't see a disadvantage other than not being able to get as much bow rise. For most with a jet isn't a big issue buy on occasion I make trips where I might encounter pretty rough water on bigger lake or saltwater trips that I make now and again. I do not have pods this is just what I've come up with after researching them a lot myself and have come to the conclusion I want them. I plan on making them sit just above the bottom of the hull and angle up so the bottom back of the pods are around 3" higher than the front bottom of them.

Hope this makes since, dhoganjr surprised you didn't post video and pics of the carnage of your boat on here. Saw it on the SEMO jet boaters page sucks that happened might consider a UHMW boot slows you down a little but takes a hit. Don't know that it would have saved you any on that hit was weird angle really stressed everything weird on the boat.

I tried posting here, couldn't get the videos to cooperate. Going to try again and see if I can get them up.

I talked with Alweld and they will make the pods custom to fit how I want. Going to talk with Joe Troutt about them and see what we can get done. Already have the new boat drawn up and ready to order except for the pods. Going with a 2060, can't order a commercial hull on less than 20 anymore with government regulations.

I've talked with guys on a duckhunting chat that have added pods to their boats that didn't have them before they were all for the most part happy with them that installed them the way I described angling up so they didn't drag when on plane. Some installed them completely flat and level with the bottom of the boat and it hurt the top end due to the extra drag of added bottom surface area still in the water when on plane. If you angle them up it should make it so they add a negligible amount drag when on plane. The whole point of pods is to disperse more water when not on plane so you draft less, and they will help you plane out quicker cause they will keep the back end from going down into the water as much coming out of the hole. But once your on plane you don't want them in the water creating more drag. If you go on duckhunting chat they're are tons of posts about pods if you really feel like doing more reading on them. Granted nearly all the people with pods on there have prop engines, but all the same principles of what they do still apply to obj boats. Plus if you had them on your boat the pod would have taken that hit rather than the engine. might have knocked a hole in the pod but would have save the engine.

Pods act differently depending on their size and the size of the boat. You might consider getting custom pods installed that weren't as deep as what you would normally get for a larger boat. Would draft less and still not stuff the bow on your hole shot. I have some on a small boat and they offset a lot of weight but they do slow you down some of they're installed level with the boat.

I had some built for another boat I had I believe 3-5 degree rise was what I sall recommended 2-4" above the front seems highly excessive. If your ordering the boat from alweld I wouldn't concern myself at all with the pods they got pods figured out you don't need to make custom ones. I run my boat across the bay down here all the time with white caps and the boat rides as well as any aluminum hull and probably the best I've been on. I run 40 mph across light chop no problem I honestly can say if you just tell joe I want a 2060 alweld with pods and a 250 jet he will take care of it.

The boat works well not one complaint.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 657
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 657
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 657
  • image.jpeg