• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1985 50 hp Evinrude - Help buy my new boat! - $600 for TB'er

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kofkorn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm selling a 1985 50 hp Evinrude. It's in very good condition, and is running well. I've stripped down and cleaned the carbs and replaced the water pump. It starts easily and runs well on the muffs.

The badge on the cover says 60 hp, but it's a lie. This is the 50 hp motor. But, from my research the only difference between the 50 and 60 hp is the cylinder head. There are a couple of 60 hp heads on Ebay for about $40 - $50, so a new head and gasket could give you a 20% boost in HP.

The VRO pump is on the motor, but I've currently disabled it. This was the first year of the VRO pump, and the system was unreliable.

This was a fresh & salt water motor, but the zincs have done their job. The insides of the lower unit are very clean with no evidence of corrosion.

No power trim/tilt, but the lift assist cylinder works very well and you can lift this motor easily with two fingers. As a matter of fact, when the lower unit is off, the motor comes up on its own.

Currently the only thing wrong is that the thrust rod which adjusts the trim position is frozen in the bracket. I've got a new rod to go in, and I'll be cutting the old one out this week.

This will be going up on Craigslist for $750, so TB'ers with 10+ Posts or 6 months time-in-grade will be getting a good deal. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the motor. It's located at my home in Upton Ma, 01568.

I'll be using the money to purchase my next project, so help a guy out and pick up this motor!

IMG_20140811_104015.jpg
IMG_20140811_103944.jpg
IMG_20140811_104000.jpg
IMG_20140811_104210.jpg
IMG_20140811_104237.jpg
IMG_20140811_104044.jpg
IMG_20140811_104102.jpg

Motor sold locally.

Can I provide a bit of advice for buyers???? Please don't plan on picking up a 50 hp motor in your Honda Civic!! I'm sure it will fit, but you're likely to ruin either your car or the motor in the process.

This guy actually asked me: "Do you think I can lean the front seat back and we can stick it in there like a passenger?"

Oh well, I made a few extra bucks on a delivery.

:LOL2:

Great, so your saying we have mensa candidates living inout parts? Awesome!

Now I have to look out for a civic with a motor in the passenger seat.

Maybe he was going to convert the civic to an amphibian and mount the motor on the back?

:LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365054#p365054 said:
Jim » Today, 09:17[/url]"]
Now I have to look out for a civic with a motor in the passenger seat.

Actually, based on the sound of his motor coming in, I wasn't sure if he was going to ask me to install it in his engine compartment instead.

In all honesty, he was a really nice guy who was working on a project boat with his B-I-L. I was just glad to get it to someone who could use it. In the end, I almost kept it myself and sold my 40 instead. If the 50 had the power trim, it would have been bolted on and the other motor offered. I've got two more that I'll be posting soon, a 6hp long shaft and a 70 hp looper.

It cracks me up because finishing used outboards in Texas is extremely hard.

Latest posts